Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Aug 09 at 18:01 PM

Yeovil 2 Tranmere 0

Rovers' season started with defeat as a goal in each half gave Yeovil the points at Huish Park. The home side scored both at times when Tranmere had looked their brightest, though the visitors never really tested the Yeovil goal.   John Barnes' first Rovers side was as expected, with a young back four containing Ash Taylor, Gavin Gunning, Aaron Cresswell and Shaleum Logan. Craig Curran got the nod to start ahead of Terry Gornell in attack alongside captain Ian Thomas-Moore, while included on the substitutes' bench were Marlon Broomes, who joined the Club on a non-contract basis ahead of the game and Youth team player Tom Baker. Luke Daniels joined Logan, Gunning and John Welsh in making his Tranmere debut. Former Tranmere midfielder George O'Callaghan started the match for Yeovil. Rovers won the first corner of the game on five minutes when Yeovil keeper Alex McCarthy carried the ball out of play, but the visitors were unable to take advantage. Three more corners followed for Rovers by the 13th minute but each Paul McLaren delivery was cut out by the home defence. On 16 minutes Thomas-Moore and Curran tried to break through the Yeovil back line but Curran was unable to get on the end of the return pass from his strike partner and the ball was cleared. Daniels kept out Dean Bowditch's shot with his legs on 21 minutes, and the keeper was on form moments later when pushing O'Callaghan's header over the bar. However, from the corner that followed Bowditch got in front of his marker to power in a header from close range to give Yeovil the lead. On loan keeper Daniels saved well from Danny Schofield on 27 minutes while Alan Mahon had a shot blocked at the other end as Rovers looked to level. Thomas-Moore shot wide from outside the area on 44 minutes, the last chance of the half for either side. Four minutes into the second half Logan was shown a yellow card for ending Bowditch's run just outside the areand the Yeovil scorer had to be replaced soon after. Daniels pushed Schofield's shot over the bar on 56 minutes and Logan cleared off the line from the corner that followed as Sam Williams came close to doubling his side's lead. Curran's speculative effort from 35 yards failed to hit the target on 61 minutes and the striker flashed a header wide of goal from Thomas-Moore's cross two minutes later - the closest Rovers had come so far. Referee Andy Hall had to have treatment on 67 minutes but the official was able to continue following a break in play. However, on 75 minutes the home side were awarded a penalty when Cresswell was adjudged to have fouled Ryan Mason. The defender argued the challenge was outside the area, but Tomlin stepped up to take the spot kick and his shot went off the post and into the net to put Yeovil two goals up. Soon after the goal Ryan Fraughan replaced Mahon on the left side of midfield to make his Rovers debut, but the youngster was unable to make a difference to the outcome as Rovers suffered defeat.   Yeovil: McCarthy, Jones, Stam, Caulker, Forbes, O'Callaghan, Tomlin (McCollin 90), Welsh (Murray 84), Mason, Bowditch (Williams 52), Schofield. Substitutes not used: Martin, Alcock, Murtagh, Smith. Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Gunning, Taylor, Cresswell, Shuker, Welsh, McLaren, Mahon (Fraughan 78), Thomas-Moore, Curran (Gornell 87). Substitutes not used: Collister, Broomes, Baker, Macauley. Referee: Andy Hall Yellow card: Logan (49), Daniels (75), Welsh (90+3)

    Latest Match Reports