Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Sep 09 at 16:53 PM

Carlisle 3 Tranmere 0

Ten man Tranmere suffered a 3-0 defeat at Brunton Park as Carlisle ran in three second half goals. The Cumbrians had the slight edge over the first 45 minutes but the sending off of Shaleum Logan just before half time proved significant as Rovers failed to cope with Carlisle's extra man.   John Barnes made just one change to the side that started against Charlton with Gareth Edds coming in for Terry Gornell as Rovers moved to a 4-4-1-1 formation. Edds lined up on the right side of midfield with Chris Shuker pushing forward in support of Ian Thomas-Moore. The first chance of the game came on nine minutes when Ian Harte's speculative effort from 25 yards was parried wide by Luke Daniels. From the corner that followed Scott Dobie headed over at the far post. Shaleum Logan raced through the Carlisle half on 21 minutes only to see his left foot shot blocked on the edge of the area. The ball rebounded as far as Alan Mahon but his effort was hit straight at the Cumbrians keeper Lenny Pidgeley. A Carlisle cross flashed through the Tranmere area and just past the far post on 28 minutes. A minute later Rovers survived a scare when Daniels came off his line to punch clear only to see the ball land at the feet of Kevan Hurst. However, the midfielder spent too long in possession and Gavin Gunning eventually cleared. Daniels punched away Paul Thirlwell's shot on 30 minutes, while a long range Mahon effort deflected just wide for a corner soon after. Mahon and Shuker combined well on 33 minutes to set up Thomas-Moore and the striker's 25 yard shot was just a couple of yards past the top right corner. Danny Livesey headed over the Rovers bar on 35 minutes and Gunning produced a fine tackle to deny Dobie a one on one shooting opportunity moments later. Goodison headed clear from Matty Robson on 38 minutes and the midfielder forced a good save out of Daniels a minute later with a dipping shot from outside the area. A foul by Gunning gave Carlisle a shooting chance from a free kick 25 yards out on 42 minutes and Harte's effort was only kept out by the bar. Rovers' chances were dealt a blow on the stroke of half time when Logan was shown two yellow cards in less than a minute to reduce the visitors to ten men. The start of the second half saw Ash Taylor replace Mahon as Rovers went to a back three, with Edds and Cresswell pushing forward into midfield. Two minutes into the half Daniels pushed Hurst's shot away and the keeper saved well from Kavanagh on 54 minutes as Carlisle pressured the Rovers area. The home side's persistence paid off on 59 minutes when Joe Anyinsah poked in from close range. Rovers appealed that the ball had already gone out of play before Robson knocked it into the six yard box but the referee pointed to the centre circle for the goal. It sparked a double change for Rovers with Ryan Fraughan and Craig Curran replacing Cresswell and Shuker. However, three minutes later it was 2-0, this time Livesey heading in off the bar from close range from Hurst's deep cross. On 77 minutes Carlisle grabbed their third, with Harte heading in Robson's corner. Edds headed over a McLaren corner with five minutes remaining as Rovers looked for a consolation, and the midfielder lobbed wide two minutes later. Taylor's shot deflected wide in injury time as Carlisle secured the three points. Carlisle: Pidgeley, Raven, Livesey, Murphy, Anyinsah (Madine 84), Kavanagh (Bridge-Wilkinson 86), Dobie (Offiong 75), Robson, Thirlwell, Harte, Hurst. Substitutes not used: Collin, Horwood, Rothery, Kane. Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Gunning, Goodison, Cresswell (Fraughan 65), Shuker (Curran 65), Welsh, Edds, McLaren, Mahon (Taylor 45 HT), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, Barnett, Ricketts, Gornell. Referee: Carl Boyeson Yellow cards: Logan (45), Raven (72) Red card: Logan (45)

    Latest Match Reports