Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Sep 09 at 16:57 PM

Tranmere 1 Colchester 1

Tranmere brought their run of defeats to an end with a hard fought 1-1 home draw against Colchester United.

John Welsh's first half effort put Rovers ahead only for the visitors to equalise a minute later. There were further chances for both teams in a lively encounter but a combination of goalkeeping and wasteful finishing meant none were converted.

There were two changes to the side that started at Exeter, with Chris Shuker replacing Gareth Edds, while Luke Daniels returned in goal in place of Joe Collister.

The startingf formation against Colchester

Rovers were denied what looked a strong case for a penalty in the third minute when Michael Ricketts flicked on a pass from Aaron Cresswell and the ball appeared to strike the arm of Danny Batty inside the area. However, the appeals were ignored and Ian Thomas-Moore was unable to capitalise on the loose ball.

Four minutes later another appeal was turned down, this time Paul McLaren's flick on striking Batty only for Steve Bratt to again wave for play to continue. At the other end Daniels pushed away a shot from Anthony Wordsworth, with Ian Goodison completing the clearance.

A far post McLaren header had to be cleared from inside the six yard box on 10 minutes and Ricketts saw his shot saved by Ben Williams when one on one with the keeper six minutes later.

A foul by Shaleum Logan on Clive Platt gave the visitors a shooting opportunity just outside the area on 18 minutes but Daniels was equal to Daniel Fox's effort.

Thomas-Moore ran on to a shot pass from Ricketts on 19 minutes before curling a shot at Williams from 20 yards and Seb Carole dragged a shot wide of goal from a similar distance soon after.

Kayode Odejayi shot narrowly wide from close range after running on to a long ball on 26 minutes, a chance that should have been converted.

Kevin Lisbie sent a powerful half volley just over Daniels' bar on 30 minutes while Thomas-Moore saw a curling shot tipped away for a corner a minute later.

The breakthrough came for Tranmere on 35 minutes. McLaren's corner fell to Broomes and his low shot was only parried by Williams allowing John Welsh to turn in from close range.

However, the lead lasted barely a minute. Odejayi brushed Goodison's challenge away, sent a low ball through the area allowing John Joe O'Toole to fire in an equaliser from ten yards.

A minute later a shot from Fox deflected off Broomes and onto the roof of the Tranmere net, while an unmarked Magnus Okuonghae headed over from the corner that followed.

The half ended with four bookings inside injury time after a scramble at a Rovers free kick led to pushing and shoving between the majority of the players.

A header from Platt forced Daniels into a save on 47 minutes and Okuonghae sent another effort wide from the resulting corner from an unmarked position.

At the opposite end Thomas-Moore had a goal bound volley blocked from six yards out and Cresswell fired high over the bar from the rebound.

Ricketts curled wide after Welsh and Shuker pressured the Colchester defence into giving the ball away on 52 minutes.

Lisbie had a shot cleared off the line by Cresswell and the defender did well to dispossess Odejayi soon after.

A Shuker shot struck the side netting on 64 minutes as Rovers went in search of the lead, while Alan Mahon replaced Carole in the first change of the game.


Ricketts shot at Williams on the turn from a Logan throw in on 75 minutes while a low Mahon cross had to be cleared from the six yard box two minutes later.


Craig Curran replaced Thomas-Moore with ten minutes remaining and a couple of minutes later a foul on Logan drew a free kick right on the edge of the area. It came to nothing but the ball was soon pumped back into the area and another penalty appeal for handball was turned down, this time Ricketts' cross striking the arm of Okuonghae.

Shuker sent a free kick just past the far post on 87 minutes shortly before Kithson Bain was introduced in place of Ricketts.


Bain had the ball in the net two minutes later but the scrambled effort was ruled out for offside earlier in the move.

Daniels somehow kept out a close range Odejayi shot as the game went into injury time and the match ended all square.

Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Goodison, Broomes, Cresswell, Shuker, McLaren, Welsh, Carole (Mahon 66), Ricketts (Bain 87), Thomas-Moore (Curran 80). Substitutes not used: Collister, Taylor, Edds, Barnett.

Colchester: Williams, Okuonghae, O'Toole, Platt (Gillespie 78), Odejayi, Fox (Hackney 67), Lisbie, Wordsworth, Tierney, White, Batty (Heath 74). Substitutes not used: Cousins, Ifil, Bender, Elito.

Referee: Steve Bratt

Yellow cards: Logan (17), Cresswell (27), Lisbie (45+1), Wordsworth (45+4), Broomes (45+4), McLaren (45+4), O'Toole (58), Tierney (74)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports