Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 29 Sep 09 at 21:51 PM

Wycombe 0 Tranmere 1

A volley from Ian Thomas-Moore gave Tranmere their first away victory of the season as Rovers ran out 1-0 winners over Wycombe Wanderers. It was also the first clean sheet of the campaign as John Barnes' side took their total for the season to seven points. Following the 1-1 draw against Colchester, it was an unchanged squad of 18 that was named for the game at Adams Park. Lining up in the centre of defence was Ian Goodison who was the only member of the Rovers side that last played at Wycombe in the 2003-04 season. While Rovers passed the ball well in the opening stages, it was Wycombe who had the first chance of the match with Matt Phillips heading wide from 12 yards out on four minutes. A Chris Shuker cross had to be turned out of the path of Ian Thomas-Moore on 14 minutes and it sparked a run of corners for Rovers. The third in a row brought the opening goal, with the ball eventually falling for Thomas-Moore who fired his angled volley beyond the dive of Scott Shearer and into the net - a fine strike and his fourth goal of the season. Shaleum Logan was denied a chance to double the lead a minute later by a fine tackle from the Wycombe defence and the defender tried a speculative chip from 30 yards soon after but his effort didn't trouble the keeper. Wycombe's Kevin Betsy missed with a header from Phillips' cross on 24 minutes and Jon Paul Pittman send an effort over five minutes later as the home side pressed forwards. Pittman saw another shot deflect off Marlon Broomes and behind for a corner on 31 minutes and Luke Oliver used his height to good effect soon after but his header was over the bar. Rovers came back into the game and sent looked to make the most of Michael Ricketts' aerial threat only for the final ball to just miss the striker on more than one occasion. The home side came close to an equaliser as the game went into first half injury time but the travelling support were relieved to see Luke Daniels turn Pittman's header over the bar. Wycombe's Michael Duberry touched wide from a free kick on 56 minutes in the first chance of the second half and Daniels did well to save from a corner three minutes later. Daniels kept out Chris Zebroski's header on 64 minutes and the home side continued to dominate possession without overly threatening the Tranmere goal. Phillips made good contact with a volley on 69 minutes but his effort was well wide of the target. A cross from Shuker gave Ricketts a chance to double the Tranmere lead on 71 minutes and his header cannoned off the bar before being cleared by Shearer. Daniels saved twice in quick succession from Stuart Green and Duberry before Gareth Edds replaced Seb Carole on the left side of midfield. Alan Mahon joined the action in place of Shuker with just over ten minutes remaining and the midfielder was straight back to help clear a free kick as Wycombe looked for a late equaliser. Broomes was well placed to block a shot from Craig Woodman on 84 minutes while Daniels did well to clear soon after. It was a tense final few minutes for Rovers but they held out for their second league win of the season. Wycombe: Shearer, Hunt (Harrold 71), Woodman, Duberry, Oliver, Green (Westlake 83), Pack, Phillips, Betsy, Pittman (Chambers 83), Zebroski. Substitutes not used: Young, Johnson, Mousinho, Montrose. Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Cresswell, Shuker (Mahon 79), Welsh, McLaren, Carole (Edds 77), Ricketts, Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, Taylor, Barnett, Bain, Curran. Referee: Fred Graham

    Latest Match Reports