Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Nov 09 at 16:52 PM

Norwich 2 Tranmere 0

Tranmere slipped to defeat against Norwich at Carrow Road in a game from which they could easily have taken all three points. Chris Shuker had hit the post and Paul McLaren had a close range shot saved before the home side were awarded a penalty from which Wes Hoolahan found the net. Norwich clinched the win with around ten minutes left but it was a performance with plenty of positives for Rovers. There were three changes to the side that started against Leyton Orient in the FA Cup, with suspension forcing Shaleum Logan out and illness causing Gareth Edds and Alan Mahon to miss out. Coming into the side were Marlon Broomes, Paul McLaren and Ryan Fraughan - who made his first ever start - while Youth team midfielder Tom Baker was named among the substitutes for the second time. Korey Smith shot over from outside the area on six minutes as the home side dominated the early possession but it was Chris Shuker who forced the first save of the game. The winger produced a neat turn to wrong foot the Norwich defence and his effort had to be turned around the post for a corner by Fraser Forster. Simon Lappin fired wide for Norwich on 16 minutes but it was another rare early chance as strong wind made things difficult for both sides. Forster saved from Fraughan on 21 minutes while Goodison did well to block crosses from Smith and Jens Berthel Askou and an effort from Grant Holt went high over the bar. McLaren won the ball in the Norwich half on 29 minutes and his well placed pass found Shuker whose shot deflected off Askou and went for a corner. Luke Daniels saved from Chris Martin on 36 minutes and some fine play from Shuker and McLaren eventually saw the latter force Forster to scramble the bal away as Rovers looked to open the scoring. At the other end Holt headed over from close range as the sides went into half time all square. Wes Hoolahan sent a long distance effort wide of the target seven minutes into the second half but the closest either side had come to a goal was three minutes later as Shuker combined with Ricketts before sending his shot against the post. However, on 60 minutes Norwich were awarded a penalty - perhaps harshly on Rovers - when a shot struck the arm of John Welsh. Hoolahan took the spot kick and just beat Daniels to give his side the lead. Michael Ricketts and Craig Curran were replaced by Ian Thomas-Moore and Terry Gornell with 15 minutes remaining but the pair had only been on the pitch a few minutes when Norwich doubled their advantage, this time Gary Doherty heading in a cross from Lappin. The hard working Fraughan was replaced by Kithson Bain with nine minutes left and the Grenada international fired over the top after cutting inside Askou soon after. Martin had a chance to add a third as the game went into injury time, but Daniels did well to force the striker wide and his shot hit the side netting. Norwich: Forster, Otsemobor, Drury, Holt, Doherty, Hoolahan, Martin, Lappin, Russell, Smith, Askou. Substitutes not used: Hughes, Cureton, Adeyemi, McVeigh, McDonald. Tranmere: Daniels, Broomes, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, Welsh, McLaren, Fraughan (Bain 81), Shuker, Ricketts (Thomas-Moore 75), Curran (Gornell 75). Substitutes not used: Collister, Cresswell, Baker. Referee: Darren Deadman Yellow cards: Welsh (17), Goodison (62)

    Latest Match Reports