Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 at 16:50 PM

Tranmere 1 Brentford 0

Craig Curran's second goal in five days earned Tranmere a 1-0 win over Brentford and three crucial points.

The striker, who was lively throughout, netted from an excellently worked free kick move on the hour mark.

In terms of possession the contest was fairly even but Rovers created far more chances than the visitors and deserved their victory.

Les Parry started with the same eleven players that began the game at Huddersfield in midweek with the only changes to the squad seeing Chris Shuker and Ryan Fraughan return to take the places of Josh Macauley and Tom Baker on the bench.

The starting formation against Brentford

Rovers came close to opening the scoring inside the first minute as Craig Curran fired narrowly wide from a central position 25 yards out.

At the other end Brentford won two early corners and both times John Bostock found the head of a team mate but neither was able to trouble Luke Daniels in the Tranmere goal.

John Welsh cleared a dangerous free kick on 10 minutes and his cross set up another chance for Curran two minutes later, with the striker drilling a shot goalwards from a tight angle only for Arsenal loanee Wojciech Szczesny to palm clear.

The Brentford keeper cut out a cross from Shaleum Logan on 17 minutes and saved low down at the feet of Terry Gornell nine minutes later after good work from Gareth Edds inside the area.

The Bees were enjoying a good share of the possession but Daniels was yet to be tested, though a free kick from Bostock went just inches wide on 28 minutes.

A surging run from Curran came to an end just as he was about to shoot on 31 minutes while the striker flicked a Welsh free kick over and wide three minutes later.

It proved to be the last chance of the half, but three minutes into the second half Ian Goodison headed wide from a free kick as Rovers went on the attack.

Gornell flashed a shot wide from the edge of the area after latching on to a loose ball on 50 minutes while Goodison recovered well to win the ball from Charlie McDonald six yards from the Tranmere goal three minutes later.

Gornell headed straight at Szscesny on 56 minutes from a Logan cross but Rovers' next chance brought the opening goal with a free kick straight off the training ground. Edds, Welsh and Curran stood over the ball 30 yards out before Curran raced into the area. The ball was quickly played to the striker who side footed his shot over Szczesny and into the bottom left corner for his second goal in a week.

Brentford tried to reply on 63 minutes when Bostock fired wide from distance while it looked like Rovers had gone two goals up four minutes later when Gornell sent a shot straight across the goal line from a tight angle.

Daniels had to control and clear outside his area on 68 minutes after a moment of indecision from Goodison and Pim Balkestein headed over from a corner son after.

Appeals for a penalty after Edds went down in the area while waiting for a Welsh free kick on 83 minutes were ignored by referee Chris Sarginson, while Curran's cut back found Thomas-Moore six yards out but Szczesny pulled off two fine saves to deny the striker and Gornell's follow up.

There were some nervy final few minutes for Rovers but they defended strongly enough to keep the clean sheet and hold on to the win.

Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, Welsh, Taylor, Edds, Curran, Gornell (Fraughan 90+4), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, Cresswell, Barnett, McLaren, Shuker, Ricketts.

Brentford: Szczesny, O'Connor, Dickson, Bean (Hunt 89), Macdonald, Foster, Wood (Cort 87), Bostock, Strevens (Murphy 72), Balkestein, Legge. Substitutes not used: Bennett, Taylor, Wilson, Moore.

Referee: Chris Sarginson

Yellow cards: Logan (27), Thomas-Moore (65), Legge (83), Gornell (90+3)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports