Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 28 Dec 09 at 16:54 PM

Tranmere 0 Carlisle 0

Tranmere extended their home unbeaten league run to four games with a hard fought goalless draw against Carlisle United. There were few decent chances throughout, though Rovers hit the woodwork midway through the second half and should have converted the rebound. Nevertheless, it was an important point for the home side who claimed another clean sheet. Les Parry named an unchanged side from the team that defeated Bristol Rovers, though Marlon Broomes returned from suspension to take a place on the substitutes' bench. With the fog having lifted from Prenton Park, the game kicked off with both sides playing their first game in more than a week. Rovers had seen their Boxing Day fixture at Oldham fall victim to the weather while Carlisle had been forced to miss games against Colchester and Huddersfield due to the wintry conditions. Luke Daniels saved Adam Clayton's shot low at his near post on five minutes while Terry Gornell shot wide at the other end after Ash Taylor's inch perfect through ball released Zoumana Bakayogo to cross from the left. Craig Curran volleyed over from outside the area following a lay off by Gornell on eight minutes and Ian Harte drilled a free kick into the wall for the visitors from a dangerous position as play swung from end to end. On 24 minutes a bizarre incident in front of the Main Stand saw the assistant referee appeared to collide with Michael Ricketts as the substitute warmed up forcing a stop in play. The official was treated immediately by Rovers Manager / Physio Les Parry and the game eventually resumed following the delay. Shaleum Logan's cross had to be well caught by Adam Collin on 28 minutes as Rovers attacked up the right while the Carlisle keeper had to race out of his area and clear under pressure from Ian Thomas-Moore moments later. Bakayogo's powerful cross was flicked out of the path of Gornell by Danny Livesey on 35 minutes while the lively Clayton volleyed narrowly wide at the other end three minutes later. A McLaren free kick deep in injury time was well met by Gareth Edds but his ball back across goal was cleared by Livesey. From the corner that followed Thomas-Moore almost flicked in at the far post but Carlisle survived the late surge from Tranmere and the sides went into half time all square. Taylor headed narrowly wide from a McLaren free kick in the first attack of the second half while Daniels punched clear a Harte free kick at the other end before Goodison cleared a follow up effort from Matty Robson. Rovers quickly counter attacked and, with advantage played by referee Phil Gibbs Logan broke free on the right and played a ball to the unmarked Curran on the edge of the area. However, the ball got stuck under the striker's feet and Evan Horwood was able to clear. Tranmere should have taken the lead on 63 minutes. Welsh's pass looped toward the Carlisle keeper but Curran got to the ball first and poked a shot against the bar. The rebound fell to Thomas-Moore who had an open goal but he was unable to turn it into the net. Moments later Logan volleyed at Collin from ten yards while Thomas-Moore narrowly failed to get on the end of Goodison's knock down from a McLaren free kick. Chris Shuker replaced Gornell with just under a quarter of an hour remaining and Welsh shot wide soon after from the edge of the area. Carlisle substitute Scott Dobie headed inches wide from a Horwood cross on 85 minutes while Joe Anyinsah missed his shot as he attempted to pounce from close range a minute later. It proved to be the final chance as the sides were forced to settle for a point apiece. Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, Welsh, McLaren, Edds, Curran, Gornell (Shuker 76), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, Cresswell, Broomes, Barnett, Fraughan, Ricketts. Carlisle: Collin, Horwood, Livesey, Murphy (Dobie 61), Kavanagh, Robson, Harte, Pericard, Keogh, Hurst (Anyinsah 77), Clayton. Substitutes not used: Bridge-Wilkinson, Taiwo, Aldred, Kane, Pidgeley. Referee: Phil Gibbs Yellow cards: McLaren (31), Kavanagh (56), Horwood (66), Pericard (78)

    Latest Match Reports