Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Feb 10 at 16:52 PM

Southend 1 Tranmere 1

Tranmere picked up their fourth away point of the week with a 1-1 draw at Southend.

The home side took the lead from the penalty spot early in the first half but Ian Goodison levelled from close range just minutes into the second period.

There were chances for both sides to clinch all three points but a combination of good saves and wayward finishing meant the game ended all square. The result left Rovers in 22nd place, level on points with the two sides above them.

There were two changes to the side that started the win over Gillingham, with Gareth Edds taking the place of the injured Ash Taylor in midfield and Ian Goodison returning from an ankle injury to line up at centre back in place of Chris McCready. Former Rovers loanee Simon Francis started at right back for the Shrimpers.

The starting formation against Southend

Franck Moussa had the first shot of the game on four minutes but his effort from outside the area went comfortably wide of Luke Daniels' goal.

Ian Thomas-Moore shot from a similar position at the other end on nine minutes but his attempt was saved by Southend keeper Steve Mildenhall.

Five minutes later the home side were awarded a penalty when Francis Laurent went down under a challenge from Zoumana Bakayogo. Loanee Scott Vernon took the spot kick and though Daniels dived the correct way, he was unable to keep the ball out of the net as Southend took the lead.

John Welsh sent a shot well wide of the target on 26 minutes and fellow midfielder Edds put another low effort straight at the keeper five minutes later.

Paul McLaren turned a long range free kick wide of goal on 38 minutes following a foul on Welsh while Laurent headed over the final chance of the half.

Three minutes into the second half Rovers levelled. Marvin Sordell's shot forced Pat Baldwin to turn behind for a corner and from McLaren's cross, Edds turned the ball goalwards and Goodison converted from close range for his second goal of the season.

Tranmere were inches from taking the lead on 53 minutes when Sordell's shot took a deflection and laded in the path of Thomas-Moore. The striker tried to put the ball past Mildenhall from a tight angle but Mildenhall reached out a hand to keep his effort out.

McLaren blocked a long range shot from McCormack as Southend came back into the game and the home side won a succession of corners over a five minute period that saw Rovers under sustained pressure.

Moussa sent a shot wide of Daniels' goal from 25 yards on 66 minutes while Edds had the ball in the Southend net eight minutes later only for a free kick to be awarded against the visitors for pushing at the corner.


Terry Gornell replaced Sordell with just over ten minutes remaining and the striker had barely been on the pitch sixty seconds when Christophe headed narrowly wide for the home side from a Francis corner.

Adam Barrett headed past the post for Southend on 86 minutes and Christophe sent a 20 yard shot wide as the home side pressed for a winner. McCormack fired wide from 12 yards as the game went into injury time, the last chance of the game for either side.

Southend: Mildenhall, Francis, M'Voto, Baldwin, Barrett, Scannell, Christophe, Moussa, Watt (McCormack 53), Laurent (Spencer 74), Vernon. Substitutes not used: Bentley, Sankofa, Herd, Freedman, Paterson.

Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, Edds, McLaren, Welsh, Curran, Sordell (Gornell 79), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, McCready, Cresswell, Barnett, Mahon, Shuker.

Referee: Steven Cook

Yellow cards: McLaren (20), Logan (35), Christophe (41), Curran (55)

Away attendance: 189

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports