Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Feb 10 at 16:56 PM

Tranmere 2 Leyton Orient 1

Tranmere climbed out of the bottom four for the first time since August 22nd as goals from Ian Thomas-Moore and Marvin Sordell gave them a 2-1 home win over Leyton Orient.

The Rovers goals came in a nine minute spell during the first half, and though Orient pulled a goal back late in the second half, they were unable to find the crucial second as Tranmere held on for the win.

Les Parry made one change to the side that started at Southend, with new loan signing Luke O'Neill replacing the suspended Shaleum Logan at right back. Former Tranmere players Ben Chorley and Sean Thornton started the game for Orient.

The starting formation against Leyton Orient

A neat flick from Marvin Sordell released Craig Curran on three minutes and his dangerous cross had to be headed clear by Chorley under pressure from Ian Thomas-Moore.

Nine minutes later Sordell whipped a ball straight through the six yard box but there was no one on hand to turn into the net and on 14 minutes the on loan Watford striker chested down a Thomas-Moore header before powering a right shot wide of goal.

Thomas-Moore did well to support his defence and win the ball from Jason Demetriou as Orient tried a quick counter attack on 22 minutes, while at the other end Ian Goodison was denied a second goal in eight days after he closed in on Gareth Edds' flick on from a corner, as Orient keeper Jamie Jones caught inside his six yard box.

Rovers' next attack saw them take the lead with a fine strike from Thomas-Moore. The striker picked the ball up on the edge of the area, shaped to pass out to the left wing before cutting inside and firing low into the bottom left corner past Jones from 18 yards for his ninth goal of the campaign.

On 30 minutes Sordell sent the ball through Jimmy Smith's legs to find Curran on the left and he raced into the area to collect a half cleared cross only to slice his shot well wide of the target.

Edds volleyed over the bar on 33 minutes after flicking the ball in the air from a Paul McLaren pass and two minutes later the lead was doubled. This time Sordell collected a loose ball on the edge of the area, took a touch and fired low with his left foot into the bottom right corner.

A decent save from Luke Daniels kept out Ryan Jarvis' low effort on 41 minutes and the midfielder shot wide three minutes later as Orient looked for a goal before half time.

At the other end Zoumana Bakayogo fired wide from outside the area and Sordell's cross had to be caught above the head of Thomas-Moore after Chorley was caught napping just inside his own half.

Orient made a double change early in the second half with Thornton and Scott McGleish replaced by James Scowcroft and Jonathan Tehoue in a bid to rescue something from the game. The visitors came close to a goal on 57 minutes when Tamika Mkandawire volleyed goalwards following a free kick but Goodison was on hand to smash the ball clear.

Charlie Daniels fired high over the bar from a free kick after McLaren had fouled Jarvis just outside the area, while Jones almost dropped the ball at the feet of Thomas-Moore inside his six yard box at the other end only to gather at the second attempt.


Sordell was replaced by Terry Gornell on 65 minutes while Loick Pires came on for Jarvis in Orient's final throw of the dice.

Scowcroft brought an excellent save out of Daniels with a low shot on 81 minutes, with the keeper reaching a hand out to turn the ball behind for a corner. A minute later Tehoue lifted a shot high over the bar from close range, perhaps the visitors' best chance of the game.

Thomas-Moore almost flicked the ball between his legs and past Jones on 85 minutes following good work from John Welsh, but the keeper was able to catch the shot with his right hand and quickly clear the danger.

With four minutes left the visitors pulled a goal back when Tehoue fired an angled shot into the bottom right corner to make for a tense final few minutes.

Daniels denied them an equaliser on 89 minutes with a wonderful save from Demetriou's top corner bound free kick, while Curran turned narrowly wide in a frantic four minutes of injury time.

Tranmere: Daniels, O'Neill, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, Edds, McLaren (Barnett 90+1), Welsh, Curran, Sordell (Gornell 65), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, McCready, Cresswell, Mahon, Shuker.

Leyton Orient: Jones, Purches, Chorley, Mkandawire, Chambers, McGleish (Tehoue 53), Thornton (Scowcroft 53), Demetriou, Daniels, Jarvis (Pires 78), Smith. Substitutes not used: Morris, Ashworth, Cave-Brown, Patulea.

Referee: Dave Foster

Yellow cards: McLaren (64), Pires (84), Gornell (87)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports