Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Mar 10 at 20:16 PM

Tranmere 2 Southampton 1

Goals from Marlon Broomes and Ian Thomas-Moore gave Tranmere a hard fought 2-1 win over Southampton at Prenton Park. Rovers took the lead early on against the in-form Saints but the visitors were quickly level. The combination of some fine saves from Luke Daniels and strong defending from the back four kept Southampton out and Thomas-Moore's penalty settled the game late on.  Les Parry named an unchanged side, with the only alterations to the matchday squad from the Huddersfield game being the return of Bas Savage to the substitutes' bench following an 11 month absence through injury and Shaleum Logan coming back from suspension. Buoyed by their successive five goal hauls in their last two games, the Saints went straight on the attack following kick off and almost took advantage of a couple of stray passes from Tranmere, but Rovers eventually cleared. After a nervy start, Tranmere came up with the perfect response. A free kick was floated deep into the area by Paul McLaren, Gareth Edds headed across goal and Marlon Broomes came up with the finishing touch, powering a header past Kelvin Davis from six yards out. It could have been two nil moments later. Davis raced out of his area to head clear and the ball went straight to Edds 35 yards out. The midfielder had an open goal to aim at but with players near by had to shoot first time and his volley went high and wide. However, the lead only lasted eight minutes. Tranmere failed to clear a cross from Jason Puncheon, the ball was volleyed goalwards by Adam Lallana and though it was cleared off the line by Ian Goodison, Lee Barnard was on hand to control and turn in from close range. On 16 minutes Marvin Sordell saw a shot from the edge of the area blocked and seconds later Zoumana Bakayogo fired just inches over the top right corner with a left foot drive from 25 yards. At the other end Goodison cleared under pressure from Radhi Jaidi after a Southampton corner bounced straight in the middle of the six yard box, while Schneiderlin somehow failed to hit the target from two yards out after he ran on to an excellent ball from Lallana. Southampton broke at speed on 28 minutes and almost took advantage of Goodison being out of position but Lambert fired wide at the far post. Appeals for a penalty after Broomes' header appeared to hit a Southampton arm on 42 minutes were ignored - the last goalmouth action of the half for either side. Edds volleyed over the bar five minutes into the second half while Puncheon got his foot too much under the ball four minutes later and his attempted left foot curler went well over Luke Daniels' goal. Craig Curran brought a decent save out of Davis on 61 minutes after teeing up the ball for himself on the edge of the area while Lambert curled over the bar from a free kick at the other end in front of the travelling Southampton fans. Thomas-Moore shot wide with his left foot from 25 yards after coming back from an offside position and Barnard saw a close range shot saved by Daniels soon after as the game began to open up. Savage made his long awaited return on 67 minutes, replacing the hard working Sordell to a great reception from the home fans. Lallana shot straight at Daniels from close range on 71 minutes while at the other end the referee waved play on after Savage had been fouled, but the striker's cross was missed by Edds and Curran and Thomas-Moore's shot was blocked. Alan Mahon came on for McLaren with just over ten minutes remaining and the midfielder had only been on the pitch a matter of seconds when Daniels saved well from Barnard's close range effort. Goodison headed off the line from Jaidi's looping header on 80 minutes but two minutes later the action moved to the other end where Edds tried to chip the ball over his marker and turn past him only to be brought down. The referee pointed to the spot for Rovers' first penalty in several months and Thomas-Moore found the bottom right corner to give his side the lead. Southampton threw bodies forward late on and Lambert tried to curl past Daniels but his effort was caught by the keeper - the visitors' final effort of the game.   Tranmere: Daniels, O'Neill, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, Edds, McLaren (Mahon 79), Welsh, Curran, Sordell (Savage 67), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, Logan, McCready, Barnett, Shuker. Southampton: Davis, Otsemobor, Fonte, Jaidi, Harding (Seaborne 67), Hammong, Schneiderlin, Puncheon, Lallana (Antonio 82), Lambert, Barnard (Waigo N'Diaye 82). Substitutes not used: Bialkowski, Thomas, Wotton, Oxlade-Chamberlain. Referee: Peter Quinn Yellow cards: Puncheon (84), Fonte (87)

    Latest Match Reports