Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Mar 10 at 16:53 PM

Brighton 3 Tranmere 0

Tranmere suffered an afternoon to quickly forget as they lost 3-0 at Brighton and ended the game with ten men.

The home side took the lead early in the game and netted their second on the half hour. After Andy Robinson was shown a straight red card late in the game, Brighton wrapped up the points with their third goal of the day.

There were three changes from the side that drew against Hartlepool with Marlon Broomes replacing the injured Shaleum Logan at right back and new loan signings Andy Robinson and Ben Gordon coming straight into the side in place of Terry Gornell and the suspended Aaron Cresswell respectively. Joss Labadie was named among the substitutes alongside Kithson Bain who had scored twice in midweek for the reserves. Former Tranmere players Alan Navarro and Seb Carole started for the Seagulls.

The starting formation against Brighton

Tranmere enjoyed the better of the opening few minutes, winning a quick corner before testing the home side with a goalmouth scramble.

However, Brighton responded well and took the lead with their first attack. Gary Dicker found Glenn Murray in space in the Tranmere area and the striker took the ball on his left foot before curling it beyond Luke Daniels and into the far corner of the goal.

Carole got in front of Gordon on 11 minutes but his volley went over the bar to the relief of the travelling supporters.

Two minutes later Murray shot straight at Daniels as the home side looked for a second while Craig Curran shot narrowly wide at the other end on 17 minutes following good work from Gordon.

The hosts got their second of the afternoon on 29 minutes. Carole reached the dead ball line on the left, sent a cross into the six yard box and Andrew Crofts nipped in at the front post to turn in.

Crofts sent a 25 yard shot wide of the target on 36 minutes while Rovers' attempts to claw a goal back late in the half went unrewarded, with Bas Savage unable to get on the end of Ash Taylor's ball across the six yard box.

Inigo Calderon fired wide from the edge of the area three minutes into the second half as Tranmere struggled to get to grips with their opponents.


Chris McCready's header deflected wide of goal on 64 minutes, a minute before Labadie replaced Paul McLaren in the centre of midfield.

Robinson forced Peter Brezovan to tip over his bar with a dipping free kick from 30 yards on 76 minutes, but the striker's game came to an abrupt end two minutes later when he was shown a straight red card for a strong challenge on Elliott Bennett.

Any hopes of a comeback were ended on 81 minutes when Gordon was robbed by Brighton substitute Ashley Barnes who then fired the ball past Daniels to grab his side's third of the day.

Daniels saved Marcos Painter's low shot with his legs on 85 minutes while Goodison's header went beyond Brezovan on 90 minutes but a Brighton player was able to clear off the line.

The home side continued to push forward late in the game and two fine saves from Daniels denied them a fourth.

Brighton: Brezovan, Calderon, El-Abd, Elphick, Painter, Bennett, Crofts, Navarro, Dicker (Virgo 87), Carole (Hendrie 75), Murray (Barnes 71). Substitutes not used: Walker, Cox, Smith, Hoyte.

Tranmere: Daniels, Broomes, McCready, Goodison, Gordon, Welsh, Taylor, McLaren (Labadie 65), Curran, Savage, Robinson. Substitutes not used: Collister, Barnett, Mahon, Shuker, Gornell, Bain.

Referee: Paul Taylor

Yellow cards: Gordon (55), Broomes (72)

Red card: Robinson (78)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports