Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 05 Apr 10 at 16:51 PM

Swindon 3 Tranmere 0

Tranmere slipped back into the bottom four after suffering a 3-0 defeat at Swindon Town on Easter Monday. An own goal, a red card and a penalty gave Swindon a 2-0 advantage at half time and with the extra man they scored a third in the second half for a comfortable victory. There was just once change to the side that beat Norwich City, with Paul McLaren missing out due to suspension and his place going to Gareth Edds, while Alan Mahon returned to the substitutes' bench. Gareth Edds forced David Lucas to turn behind for a corner on seven minutes but Rovers were unable to take advantage of the set piece with Swindon's Scott Cuthbert quickly clearing. At the other end Marlon Broomes dealt with the threat of Billy Paynter but the home side scored with their next attack. Alan Sheehan whipped in a cross from the left wing and the ball deflected off the knee of Ben Gordon, past Luke Daniels and into the net. Daniels saved a free kick from Sheehan on 24 minutes while Ian Goodison and Broomes were both forced to concede corners as the home side pressed for a second goal. Danny Ward brought a decent save out of Daniels with a long range shot on 34 minutes and from the corner that followed Rovers eventually conceded a second. The assistant referee raised his flag and after a discussion with referee Oliver Langford Terry Gornell was shown a straight red card for an apparent stamp inside the area. Billy Paynter then took the resulting penalty and sent Daniels the wrong way to double his side's lead. The start of the second half gave the wind advantage to Rovers and a long throw from Broomes caused a moment of panic for the home side, with appeals for handball and a Tranmere penalty ignored by the referee. Douglas forced Daniels to turn the ball around his post with a long range shot on 54 minutes and Gordon Greer fired wide from the corner after a knock down from Cuthbert. A long ball forward from the back led to the home side's third on 56 minutes. The ball reached Charlie Austin who raced clear of the Tranmere defence to fire past Daniels and into the net. Alan Mahon replaced Curran with half an hour remaining and a few minutes later Bas Savage came on for Ian Thomas-Moore. Joss Labadie came on for John Welsh in Rovers' final change of the afternoon, the third substitute appearance since the midfielder joined on loan from West Brom. Sheehan fired high over the bar four minutes from time and three minutes later Robins substitute Frank Nouble struck the Tranmere post with the ball bouncing away to safety. The on loan West Ham striker brought a good save out of Daniels soon after with the hosts unable to add a fourth before the final whistle. Swindon: Lucas, Darby, Greer, Cuthbert, Sheehan, McGover, Ferry, Douglas, Ward (Marshall 76), Paynter (Nouble 68), Austin. Substitutes not used: Smith, Easton, Timlin, Amankwaah, Jean-Francois. Tranmere: Daniels, Broomes, McCready, Goodison, Gordon, Welsh (Labadie 73), Taylor, Edds, Curran (Mahon 60), Gornell, Thomas-Moore (Savage 65). Substitutes not used: Collister, Bakayogo, Shuker, Sordell. Referee: Oliver Langford Yellow cards: Red card: Gornell (35) Away attendance: 246

    Latest Match Reports