Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Apr 10 at 16:55 PM

Tranmere 3 Exeter 1

Goals from Craig Curran, Joss Labadie and Gareth Edds gave Tranmere a deserved 3-1 home win over ten man Exeter City.

The result closed the gap to safety to two points and it could easily have been by more goals, with Rovers having a having more than 20 shots throughout the 90 minutes.

There were two changes to the side that started against Wycombe, with Luke Daniels and Chris McCready missing out through suspension. Coming into the side were new loan signing Peter Gulacsi and Joss Labadie, both of whom were making their first starts for the Club. McCready's injury meant Ash Taylor dropped to centre back alongside Ian Goodison, while Andy Robinson was named among the substitutes.

The starting formation against Exeter

Craig Curran had a chance to open the scoring on four minutes from John Welsh's low cross but Exeter defender Scott Golbourne stretched out his leg to turn the ball behind for a corner. Ash Taylor headed over from the set piece that followed.

Two minutes later Bas Savage sent a header over Paul Jones' bar from Marlon Broomes' powerful cross while Zoumana Bakayogo recovered well to clear at the other end after allowing the ball to go through his legs inside the area.

Gulacsi dealt well with Barry Corr's low shot from the left side of the area and Rovers' quickly went into Exeter's half with Labadie heading straight at Jones from Curran's floated cross.

Labadie's low 25 yard shot was charged down while Goodison cleared the danger for Tranmere as Exeter quickly broke on 16 minutes.

A header from Welsh from a Paul McLaren's corner went wide of the target on 17 minutes and the midfielder sent a volley into the arms of Jones four minutes later from Curran's knock down.

With two fouls in the space of four minutes, Exeter were reduced to ten men, James Dunne shown two yellow cards for twice bringing down Labadie.

Seven minutes after the sending off Tranmere made their man advantage pay with Curran the deserving goalscorer. The striker worked hard on the right before sending the ball to the left side of the area. He ran into the area and met Bakayogo's return ball perfectly, heading beyond Jones and into the net from six yards.

Taylor headed over from an unmarked position in the first minute of injury time, the last chance of the half as Rovers took their lead into the break.

Taylor's head was the target of most set pieces, and the defender sent another effort straight at Jones in the first minute of the second half, with McLaren again supplying the cross.

Barry Corr sent a header straight at Gulacsi on 48 minutes while Bas Savage turned a header just beyond the far post from an Ian Thomas-Moore cross seconds later.

Thomas-Moore sent a left foot curler narrowly wide of the target on 51 minutes, a minute before McLaren was replaced in midfield by Gareth Edds.

Rovers continued to press for a second and Savage missed a close range attempt on 54 minutes, perhaps taken by surprise that Jones didn't catch Bakayogo's cross on the edge of the six yard box.

On 57 minutes the home side had a good chance for a second goal when Curran and Thomas-Moore closed down the defender and forced Jones to miss hit his clearance, but Curran sliced wide of the target with the keeper out of goal when a pass to Edds may have been the better option.

A minute later Edds sent a close range effort straight at Jones from Thomas-Moore's cross, but the second goal wasn't long in coming.

Jones threw the ball to Steve Tully but the defender lost the ball to Labadie who coolly shot into the net from 30 yards with the keeper struggling to get back into his goal. It capped a hard working performance from Labadie though the midfielder was booked for taking his shirt off in celebration.

A looping header from Taylor forced Jones to back track and catch under the bar a minute later, and Curran's powerful header brought a back post save out of the keeper soon after following excellent work from Thomas-Moore and Savage on the right flank.

The chances kept coming for Tranmere who were attacking at pace and stretching Exeter. On 65 minutes Thomas-Moore slalomed his way through the area only for Curran's close range effort to be blocked for a corner.

Thomas-Moore's stretched foot couldn't turn the ball past Jones from Curran's cross and the striker failed with an attempt with the outside of his foot on 71 minutes.

Kithson Bain was introduced in place of Savage on 76 minutes and the Grenadan international saw his low drive blocked by a defender soon after.

However, with six minutes to go the visitors grabbed a lifeline. A cross in from Golbourne wasn't cleared properly by Goodison allowing substitute Stuart Fleetwood the easy opportunity to tap in at the near post.

With a chance to draw Exeter threw men forward, but Rovers took advantage two minutes from time. Goodison's clearance reached Bain on the halfway line and the striker held off his defender before playing the ball inside for Thomas-Moore. He dummied for Edds who took one touch before curling the ball past Jones from the edge of the area with his left foot.

It was almost four on 90 minutes, with Thomas-Moore latching on to a stray Exeter pass before cutting inside and seeing his curled shot well saved by Jones, the final shot of the game.

Tranmere: Gulacsi, Broomes, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, Welsh, McLaren (Edds 52), Labadie, Curran, Savage (Bain 76), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Coughlin, Gordon, Mahon, Shuker, Robinson.

Exeter: Jones, Tully (Fleetwood 73), Duffy (Cozic 60), Matt Taylor, Golbourne, Corr, Stewart (Ryan Taylor 45), Dunne, Sercombe, Friend. Substitutes not used: Marriott, Edwards, Logan, Burnell.

Referee: G Eltringham

Yellow cards: Dunne (33), Goodison (40), Labadie (59)

Red cards: Dunne (36)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports