Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 May 10 at 18:35 PM

Tranmere 2 Millwall 0

Goals from Ian Thomas-Moore and Andy Robinson gave Tranmere a 2-0 win over automatic promotion-chasing Millwall at Prenton Park and kept them fighting for their place in League One.

Results elsewhere mean Rovers are now left with the task of travelling to Stockport in a week's time aiming for at least a point and results elsewhere going in their favour to secure safety.

There was one change to the side that started against Colchester, with Andy Robinson replacing Craig Curran in attack for his first start in a Tranmere shirt at Prenton Park.

The starting formation against Millwall

With a noisy atmosphere welcoming the players onto the pitch, the first chance of the game fell to Tranmere on two minutes with Ash Taylor heading Robinson's free kick back across goal only for Joss Labadie to head over David Forde's bar.

At the other end, Marlon Broomes blocked Steve Morison's low shot while Liam Trotter turned Labadie inside the area before forcing Peter Gulacsi into a save at his near post.

Neil Harris sent a back post volley straight through the six yard box on eight minutes and Chris Hackett tested Gulacsi with a low effort from 25 yards soon after as the Lions surged forward.

Another shot from Harris went wide of the target and the miss gave Rovers the chance to counter attack, with Shaleum Logan and Bas Savage combining well only for the latter's cross to go beyond Robinson at the far post.

Forde had to race out of his area, leave his goal unguarded and slide the ball away from Ian Thomas-Moore on 12 minutes while Broomes produced a fine tackle to deny Morison a shot on goal five minutes later.

The high tempo start continued and Robinson showed great commitment in racing back to block Andy Frampton's cross and earn Rovers a goal kick.

A low cross from Thomas-Moore had to be turned out of the path of Savage and out for a corner on 34 minutes and Trotter sliced a shot wide of goal at the opposite end.

News of goals for Exeter and Gillingham began to spread round Prenton Park meaning the need for a strike from Rovers had become even greater.

With the first half entering injury time Tranmere were awarded a penalty when Thomas-Moore was brought down by Lions skipper Paul Robinson. The captain picked himself up to take the spot kick and sent Forde the wrong way to put his side, earning a booking for his celebration with the Town Paddock fans.

Millwall substitute Lewis Grabban flashed a header wide of Gulacsi's far post from a corner on 58 minutes, the closest the visitors had come to an equaliser.

Tranmere came even closer to doubling their lead a minute later, with Savage tricking his way down the right wing before sending in a cross from which Labadie's powerful header was brilliantly saved by Forde.

The second goal did come on 66 minutes. Some fine tracking back from Zoumana Bakayogo saw the left back win the ball midway inside the Millwall half, Thomas-Moore flicked his pass into the path of Robinson and the Leeds United loanee took a touch before unleashing an unstoppable shot from 25 yards into the top right corner with his right foot.

The striker almost got his second five minutes later with a 30 yard free kick that had to be palmed around the post by Forde. Two corners followed and from the second John Welsh was inches away from killing the game off with his volley from the edge of the area going just past the right hand post.

Robinson left the pitch to a standing ovation on 82 minutes to be replaced by Curran, and the striker's short pass to Savage saw Rovers narrowly miss a third goal soon after.

Gulacsi pulled off a brilliant save to deny Millwall a lifeline on 90 minutes, the last real chance of the game as Rovers claimed a vital win.

Tranmere: Gulacsi, Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, Labadie (Edds 90+3), Taylor, Welsh, Savage, Thomas-Moore, Robinson (Curran 82). Substitutes not used: Coughlin, McCready, Shuker, Barnett, Cresswell.

Millwall: Forde, Frampton, Robinson, Harris, Hackett (Alexander 65), Barron (Grabban 53), Ward, Morison (Obika 76), Smith, Abdou, Trotter. Substitutes not used: Sullivan, Grimes, Fuseni, Laird.

Referee: Neil Swarbrick

Yellow cards: Paul Robinson (25), Broomes (36), Thomas-Moore (45+1), Andy Robinson (60), Alexander (90+2)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports