Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 12 Oct 09 at 21:38 PM

Tranmere 0 Stockport 1

Les Parry's first game as Caretaker Manager didn't have the fairytale ending Rovers fans had looked for.

A second half penalty for Stockport was the difference between the sides on a night when Rovers had a handful of chances to score.

There were six changes to the side that started at Bury, with Shaleum Logan,Marlon Broomes,Paul McLaren,Ian Thomas-Moore and Terry Gornell all coming into the side while Zoumana Bakayogo made his debut for the Club after joining on a short term deal. Former Rovers players Wayne Allison and Chris Malkin were on hand to help out with coaching and physio duties respectively.

The starting formation against Stockport

Alan Mahon had the first shot of the game on ten minutes, firing over from a knock down from a Bakayogo long throw. A minute later Craig Curran fed Logan down the right and the full back tricked his way past Michael Rose before whipping in a cross. The ball was well met by Gareth Edds whose header was kept out by Owain Fon Williams.

Curran ran on to a well placed pass from Edds on 19 minutes before shooting over the bar from 18 yards out and Thomas-Moore had a shot charged down after good work from Edds a minute later.

On 22 minutes a pass from Thomas-Moore released Bakayogo on the left and his cross from the byline went straight through the six yard box to Curran but his shot was caught on the line by Fon Williams.

Stockport came within inches of opening the scoring against the run of play on 24 minutes when a miss hit clearance from Daniels fell to Carl Baker 40 yards out. With the keeper out of his area the County striker shot first time but his effort bounced narrowly wide of an empty net.

Another quality cross from Bakayogo found Gornell on 28 minutes and his low drive was blocked on the way to goal as Rovers continued to search for the opener.

Baker shot wide for the away side on 32 minutes and Mahon missed the target with a long range effort soon after for Tranmere.

Greg Tansey was next to try his luck from distance on 35 minutes with the Stockport midfielder firing just wide of goal and a minute later James Vincent's powerful attempt was well held by Daniels.

A headed clearance from Peter Thompson almost crept into his own net on 45 minutes and from the corner that followed Edds rose unmarked but his header was saved by Fon Williams.

Baker fired wide from 25 yards on 51 minutes and he sent another effort across goal and just beyond the far post nine minutes later.


John Welsh replaced Mahon in the centre of midfield on 63 minutes but the game took a dramatic turn two minutes later when Daniels was controversially shown a red card and the visitors awarded a penalty.

Joe Collister replaced Gornell to line up for the spot kick but he could do nothing about Baker's shot which flew into the top left corner.


Curran had a chance to level on 71 minutes but his header from Bakayogo's cross was straight at Fon Williams and the striker headed wide five minutes later from close range when trying to divert Edds' shot towards goal.


Curran was replaced by Chris Shuker on 82 minutes and soon after Thomas-Moore fired a shot just wide of goal from 20 yards.

A late free kick from Shuker had to be cleared out of the path of Thomas-Moore and Edds and the latter saw a header saved from the corner that followed - the last chance of the game for Rovers.

Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, McLaren, Edds, Mahon (Welsh 63), Curran (Shuker 82), Thomas-Moore, Gornell (Collister 66). Substitutes not used: Cresswell, Taylor, Ricketts, Barnett.

Stockport: Fon Williams, Mullins, Rose, Bridcutt, Raynes, Vincent, Tansey, Thompson (Johnson 83), Baker, Poole, Huntington. Substitutes not used: Turnbull, Gerrard, Griffin, Pilkington, Havern, Fisher.

Referee: Russell Booth

Red card: Daniels (65)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports