Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 25 Aug 09 at 21:38 PM

Tranmere 0 Bolton 1

Tranmere's Carling Cup campaign came to an end with a narrow defeat against Premier League side Bolton Wanderers. There was little between the sides in possession but Bolton created the majority of the game's chances. There were three changes to the Rovers side that lost at Leeds with Ian Thomas-Moore, Gavin Gunning and Shaleum Logan replaced by Terry Gornell, Ash Taylor and Gareth Edds. Michael Ricketts was named on the bench against his old club. An early chance for John Welsh saw the midfielder pounce on a loose ball 25 yards out but Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen was down quickly to save. The opening few minutes were fairly cagey with both defences quick to snuff out any hint of attack. Bolton should have carved out a chance on 11 minutes when they quickly broke from a Tranmere corner and had a three on three attack, but Fabrice Muamba held the ball up long enough for Rovers to get back in numbers. Kevin Davies shot at Daniels on the turn on 16 minutes while Bolton blocked a Chris Shuker shot three minutes later after the winger was earlier fouled by Jlloyd Samuel. A long spell of midfield stalemate and little goalmouth action followed and it wasn't until 40 minutes that either team carved out another chance, this time Kevin Davies rising above Goodison to head wide of the right hand post. However, a minute later the hosts took the lead. A quick counter attack saw Mark Davies race through on goal and the midfielder's powerful shot could only be parried into the net by Daniels. It was the last chance of the half for either side as Bolton took their lead into the break. A long range shot from Matt Taylor deflected onto the roof of the Tranmere net early in the second half and Kevin Davies narrowly failed to connect with a Mark Davies cross on 61 minutes. Three minutes later Rovers made a double change. Ricketts came on for his home debut in place of Craig Curran and Charlie Barnett made his first appearance of the season, coming on for Chris Shuker. Ricketts was immediately involved, flicking Paul McLaren's free kick into the penalty area from where Goodison sent an overhead kick into the arms of Jaaskelainen. At the other end Daniels kept the deficit at one with a fine reaction save from a Johan Elmander header, another great example of the young player's talent. Mahon was replaced by Ryan Fraughan with 12 minutes remaining in Rovers' final change, while Daniels saved well from Sean Davis on 89 minutes. As the game went into injury time Fraughan almost grabbed an equaliser. The midfielder was free on the left side of the area to receive Ricketts' cross but his effort hit the side netting. Rovers pressed forward in the dying stages but shots from Cresswell and Barnett failed to hit the target. Tranmere: Daniels, Edds, Taylor, Goodison, Cresswell, Shuker (Barnett 64), Welsh, McLaren, Mahon (Fraughan 78), Curran (Ricketts 64), Gornell. Substitutes not used: Collister, Broomes, Macauley. Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Cahill, Knight, Elmander, Kevin Davies, Davis, Mark Davies (Lee 64), Jlloyd Samuel, Taylor, Muamba (McCann 80). Substitutes not used: Al Habsi, Steinsson, Robinson, O'Brien, Ward. Referee: Nigel Miller Yellow cards: Cresswell (56)

    Latest Match Reports