Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Nov 09 at 16:52 PM

Tranmere 1 Leyton Orient 1

Tranmere secured their place in the draw for the Second Round of the FA Cup sponsored by E.ON, but they face a replay for the right to reach the next stage of the competition after drawing 1-1 at home to Leyton Orient.

Rovers had the majority of the game's chances but had to come from behind through Chris Shuker's deflected strike after Luke Ashworth had given the visitors the lead.

There were four changes to the side that lost at home to Swindon with Chris Shuker,Alan Mahon,Ash Taylor and Luke Daniels coming into the side in place of Ian Thomas-Moore,Paul McLaren,Marlon Broomes and David Martin. Former Rovers players Ben Chorley and Sean Thornton started for Orient.

The starting formation against Leyton Orient

A run from Chris Shuker looked set to cause some danger for the visitors on four minutes but the winger failed to find a team mate and Orient cleared.

A minute later Mahon shot wide from 25 yards after running on to a pass from Michael Ricketts but Orient's first chance gave them the lead, with Luke Ashworth heading into the net from close range from a Thornton's corner.

Rovers were close to leveling on 17 minutes when Shuker span past his marker and saw his shot saved by Glenn Morris, with the rebound falling just out of the path of Ricketts' outstretched leg.

Penalty appeals were turned down on 18 minutes when Ricketts went down in the area while positioning himself for a Shuker cross, while a long range effort from John Welsh was saved by Morris low to his right.

Rovers continued to press and won a number of set pieces around the Orient area and spending a long spell inside the visitors' half.

A minute before half time Shuker ran on to the ball midway inside the Orient half, beat his defender and ran through to a one one one with the keeper only for Morris to catch his attempt to curl into the far corner.

Rovers got their equaliser on 52 minutes. Mahon raced into the area, left the ball for Shuker whose curled effort took a touches off Stephen Purches and Thornton before going under the body of Morris.

The Orient keeper did well to keep the scores level a minute later, first making a fine reaction save to keep our Craig Curran's acrobatic volley before tipping a Ricketts header over the bar.

Shaleum Logan did well to win the ball off Thornton when one on one in the Rovers half on 57 minutes while Curran met a long ball from Logan deep in the Orient half but his shot failed to meet the target.

A free kick from Mahon deflected out for a corner on 72 minutes and Curran put an overhead kick over the bar after Goodison flicked on Zoumana Bakayogo's long throw.

Rovers survived a scare when a Thornton free kick deflected away from Daniels and towards goal on 83 minutes but the ball was cleared by Goodison after bouncing away from danger, while Loick Pires sent an effort wide from 25 yards.

Though both sides tried to create an opening in the final minutes, neither was able to test the keeper as the game went to a replay.

Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, Shuker, Welsh, Edds, Mahon, Curran, Ricketts. Substitutes not used: Collister, Broomes, Cresswell, McLaren, Fraughan, Thomas-Moore, Gornell.

Leyton Orient: Morris, Purches, Chorley, Ashworth, McLeish, Thornton, Demetriou, Daniels, Pires, Smith, Patulea (Jarvis 68). Substitutes not used: Jones, Cave Brown, Baker, Scowcroft, Beautyman.

Referee: Oliver Langford

Yellow cards: Chorley (71), Smith (75), Logan (78)

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports