Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Nov 09 at 16:51 PM

Tranmere 0 Aldershot 0

A goalless draw at home to Aldershot Town booked Tranmere's place in the FA Cup Third Round draw but left the two sides facing a replay at the Recreation Ground for the chance to reach the next stage. Rovers created the majority of the game's chances but couldn't find a way past the Aldershot keeper, John Welsh coming the closest with a shot that struck both posts. Caretaker Manager Les Parry opted for the same XI that began the game against Southend, with the only change seeing Tom Baker promoted to the substitutes' bench following Kithson Bain's loan move to Kettering. After good work from Chris Shuker on the right wing Terry Gornell had the game's first shot on five minutes, with his effort deflecting behind for a corner. Three minutes later Gornell was at the back post for a Shuker cross but his header went a yard wide of goal. Scott Donnelly fired wide with his left foot from 20 yards for the visitors on nine minutes while Luke Daniels had to save Ash Taylor's sliding interception seven minutes later. Rovers appealed in vain for a penalty on 19 minutes when Shuker's attempt to knock the ball past a defender appeared to result in contact with an arm. Two minutes later it looked a certainty that the home side had taken the lead when John Welsh unleashed a fine right foot strike from 25 yards but the ball first hit Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz's left hand post and rebounded across the goal line on to his right hand post before being cleared. Both teams continued to create chances in an open start to the cup tie. Aldershot's Marlon Jackson headed straight at Daniels from a promising position and soon after Taylor sent a header into the arms of Jaimez-Ruiz from Shuker's corner. Marvin Morgan's 20 yard effort had to be turned around the post by Daniels on 27 minutes with Anthony Charles firing high over the bar from the corner that followed. Gornell shot wide with his right foot on the turn after good work from Shuker and Taylor on 29 minutes while a Taylor flick on narrowly failed to turn the ball into the path of Gareth Edds on the edge of the six yard box soon after. Welsh's square ball fell perfectly for Edds ten yards out on 39 minutes but Charles threw his body in the way of the shot and Aldershot cleared the danger. Welsh chipped over with his left foot from a tight angle on 43 minutes after an excellent run from Shuker kept the ball in play. However, the run appeared to leave Shuker limping and he was replaced two minutes later by Ian Thomas-Moore. A Curran shot went into the side netting on 53 minutes as Rovers broke quickly up the right and the striker was involved again a minute later, latching on to Taylor's excellent cross field ball only for his cross to go straight to the keeper. Thomas-Moore sent a long range effort over the bar on 56 minutes after Gornell knocked Ian Goodison's pass into his path while Lewis Chalmers shot over from a similar distance at the opposite end. Edds' left foot shot deflected two yards past the post on 60 minutes and Taylor side footed inches from the top left corner two minutes later as Rovers continued to pressure the visitors, though the breakthrough still hadn't come. Gornell's right foot shot from 20 yards could only be saved by Jaimez-Ruiz at the second attempt on 65 minutes while Curran's dipping effort was caught by the keeper eight minutes later. Michael Ricketts was brought on in place of Gornell with just over a quarter of an hour remaining, Rovers' second chance of the afternoon. Edds sent another left foot shot at the Aldershot keeper on 78 minutes while it needed an excellent challenge from Taylor to prevent John Halls from shooting from the edge of the area at the other end. Ricketts' cross gave Edds a chance on 89 minutes but the visiting defence was quick to clear the danger and ensure the game ended as a draw. Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo, Welsh, Taylor, Edds, Curran, Gornell (Ricketts 74), Shuker (Thomas-Moore 45). Substitutes not used: Collister, Cresswell, Barnett, McLaren, Baker. Aldershot: Jaimez-Ruiz, Herd, Straker (Harding 87), Blackburn, Charles, Soares, Chalmers, Morgan, Donnelly (Halls 67), Jackson (Bozanovic 83), Sandell. Substitutes not used: Masters, Hinshelwood, Grant, Winfield. Referee: Dean Whitestone Yellow cards: Gornell (48), Sandell (50)

    Latest Match Reports