Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 at 16:54 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Plymouth 0

A wonder goal from Dale Jennings earned Rovers a 1-0 win over Plymouth Argyle at Prenton Park. The 17-year old striker scored a superb solo effort on the hour mark to lift Les Parry's side out of the bottom four of League 1. Plymouth pressured the Rovers area late in the second half but the defence and Peter Gulacsi held firm for a clean sheet and three points. There were three changes to the side that started against Bury with Ian Goodison, Dale Jennings and Arnaud Mendy replacing Jermaine Grandison, Aaron Cresswell and the suspended Joss Labadie. Rovers survived an early scare when Bradley Wright-Phillips raced on to a quick free kick to a one on one chance but Peter Gulacsi's left hand was strong enough to keep the low shot out and Bakayogo cleared. At the other end a neat through ball from Jennings put Showunmi into the Plymouth area but his touch was too heavy and Pilgrims keeper Romain Larrieu was able to gather before the striker could shoot. Plymouth's Craig Noone fired wide of the target on four minutes from outside the area and the former Southport player got past Cathalina a couple of minutes later before seeing his cross caught by Gulacsi. The action continued to race from end to end, with Ian Thomas-Moore almost putting Rovers ahead in spectacular fashion on six minutes, brilliantly controlling inside the area before teeing himself up and then putting his attempted lob just over the bar. A loose ball fell to Jennings inside the Plymouth area on eight minutes and the striker's dropped shoulder got him past one challenge but two more defenders quickly arrived to prevent a shot. A miss hit clearance from Bondz N'Gala put the visitors in some trouble on 19 minutes but Larrieu got enough on his punch and the danger was cleared. Another long range shot from Noone had to be palmed around the post by Gulacsi on 21 minutes, with the Plymouth midfielder looking one of their side's biggest threats. Mendy failed to get enough contact on a Jennings cross on 23 minutes while Showunmi needed treatment soon after, with the big striker eventually rejoining the action. Cathalina headed narrowly past the far post from a John Welsh free kick on 33 minutes and Jennings ran 30 metres before forcing Larrieu to push around his post with a long range shot soon after. Showunmi's injury proved too much on 41 minutes, with the striker replaced by Sam Morrow. A Lucas Akins shot struck the back of a defender on 43 minutes and fell to Jennings 30 yards out. In typically impressive fashion, he took one touch before sending an audacious volley just past the right hand post. The first chance of the second half fell to Akins after the striker knocked the ball past Onismor Bhasera and ran around the other side before firing into the side netting from 12 yards. On 55 minutes Morrow stole the ball from Reda Johnson and sent a 20 yard effort wide of goal and a couple of minutes later Jennings nutmegged a defender before racing through on goal and cutting inside only for his bottom corner bound effort to be blocked by a brilliant lunge from Johnson. The youngster wasn't to be denied though. On 60 minutes he received the ball wide on the left from Mendy just past the half way line, outpaced Karl Duguid to get into the visitors' area, cut past two challenges and fired into the bottom right corner for his fourth goal for the Club. Larrieu had to punch a cross from Ian Goodison away from goal on 66 minutes after Jennings had won a corner, while both Rory Fallon and Bolasie sent efforts wide of the target for Peter Reid's Plymouth. The injured Broomes was replaced by Grandison with just under a quarter of an hour remaining, shortly before Thomas-Moore curled wide of the right hand post. New Zealand international Fallon should have equalised on 83 minutes when a deep cross fell to him in an unmarked position six yards out but his effort was cleared by Goodison who had raced back on to his own goal line and a minute later the combination of two superb saves from Gulacsi and a goal line clearance from Welsh kept Rovers ahead as Plymouth threw bodies into the home area. At the Kop end Morrow almost sealed the points with a left foot shot that went just past the left hand post from 18 yards while another fantastic save from Gulacsi kept out Noone's powerful 10 yard drive after a Grandison slip put him through on goal. Tranmere: Gulacsi, Cathalina, Broomes (Grandison 77), Goodison, Bakayogo, Akins, Mendy, Welsh, Jennings, Showunmi (Morrow 41), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Collister, Darville, Cresswell, Blanchard, Fraughan. Plymouth: Larrieu, Duguid, N'Gala, Johnson, Clark (Fallon 62), Wright-Phillips, Bhasera, Noone, Bolasie (Mason 74), Nelson, Clifford. Substitutes not used: Chenoweth, Patterson, Stephens, Seip, Molyneux. Referee: Bobby Madley Yellow cards: Mendy (21), Thomas-Moore (90+5) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports