Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Feb 11 at 16:18 PM

Match Abandoned: Tranmere v Notts County

Tranmere's home game against Notts County was abandoned early in the second half due to a waterlogged pitch. County led 1-0 at the time but conditions were unplayable following rain throughout the day. There was just one change to the side that began the 1-1 draw four days earlier against Rochdale with Andy Robinson coming in for Dale Jennings on the left side of attack. Alan Mahon and Zoumana Bakayogo returned to the bench with Ryan Fraughan and Sam Morrow missing out. Rovers had a chance to take the lead inside the first minute. A long ball forward from Tony Warner was flicked on by Enoch Showunmi and looked set to land nicely for John Welsh inside the area. However, the rain throughout the day had left the pitch wet and the ball skipped away from him giving a defender time to block his left foot effort on goal. A couple of minutes later Warner had to palm Karl Hawley's shot away from goal and Alan Gow headed wide from Craig Westcarr's cross soon after. Joss Labadie almost nipped in between two defenders to reach Michael Kay's cross on 14 minutes but the ball was cleared for a Rovers corner. As the rain continued to fall, the ball began to stick in places and making one or two passes land short of their target. Tranmere tried to take advantage of quickly clearing a County free kick on 21 minutes, but Joss Labadie's attempted chip from his own half failed to reach the County penalty area when Stuart Nelson was stranded midway in his half. But on 28 minutes the visitors took the lead. A long ball forward from Edwards was chested down by Lee Hughes and Gow fired an unstoppable shot past Warner into the right side of the net from 25 yards. Gow controlled well before sending a shot straight at Warner on 30 minutes and the striker's low cross was cut out by the Rovers keeper soon after as County pressed forward. Rovers earned the chance to level on 39 minutes. Labadie won the ball on the halfway line and found Showunmi who rolled a pass into the area. Labadie continued his run and went down under a challenge from two defenders with referee Peter Quinn pointing to the penalty spot. Robinson stepped up to take the kick but he put his effort over the bar and the deficit stayed at one. Ash Taylor headed narrowly wide on 43 minutes from a Welsh cross, the last chance of the half for either side. A double change at the start of the second half saw Jennings replace Robinson and Lucas Akins come on for Lateef Elford-Alliyu. With the rain still not having let up, conditions were even worse at the start of the second half with both sets of players struggling to run with the ball. The referee stopped play on 50 minutes to consult both managers but after a long conversation play continued. However it was no better moments later and he blew his whistle to call the game of around the 53 minute mark. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Labadie, Taylor, Welsh, Elford-Alliyu (Akins 45 HT), Showunmi, Robinson (Jennings 45 HT). Substitutes not used: Collister, Wood, Bakayogo, Mahon, McGurk. Notts County: Nelson, Darby, Edwards, Ravenhill, Hughes, Bishop, Pearce, Hawley, Gow, Westcarr, Harley. Substitutes not used: Burch, Thompson, Lee, Cobern, Spicer, Smith, Fox. Referee: Peter Quinn Yellow cards: McChrystal (45+1) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports