Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 14 Feb 11 at 12:34 PM

Report: Plymouth 1 Tranmere 3

A goal in each half from Lateef Elford-Alliyu and a late strike from Enoch Showunmi earned Rovers a 3-1 win over Plymouth at Home Park and a double over the Pilgrims in 2010-11. Elford-Alliyu, who extended his loan spell from West Brom earlier in the week, converted passes from Enoch Showunmi and Joss Labadie, while Showunmi reacted quickly to poor defending to add the third. Though Joe Mason pulled a goal back late on, Rovers had already done enough for all three points. The result lifted Les Parry's side above Plymouth and into 17th place in League 1. There was one change to the side that started against Notts County, with Lucas Akins replacing Andy Robinson - who picked up a minor calf injury in midweek - in attack. Robinson dropped to the bench where he was joined by Tim Cathalina as he returned from injury, but there was no place for Dale Jennings. Plymouth forced an early corner from which they gave Rovers a scare. Chris Clark whipped the ball in and it went through the six yard box to Rory Patterson but he could only put his shot over Tony Warner's bar. On six minutes Lateef Elford-Alliyu's cross reached Joss Labadie in a promising position but he was unable to work a shooting opportunity and Peter Reid's side cleared. A Labadie free kick hit the Plymouth wall on 12 minutes while Ian Goodison got in the way of a long range Patterson shot two minutes later. The early stages suggested decent chances could be few and far between for the two sides, with Plymouth's Clark missing one from a free kick on 17 minutes. However, on 22 minutes Rovers took the lead. A cross from Ash Taylor was headed down by Enoch Showunmi into the path of Elford-Alliyu who coolly turned past David Button for his third goal since joining on loan from West Brom. Tranmere had the ball in the net a second time on 26 minutes following an excellent move. Akins beat his man on the wing and his cross was turned into the path of John Welsh by Showunmi. Welsh's ball across the six yard box was bundled in by Akins but the assistant referee waved his flag for offside and the lead stayed at one. Goodison did well to cut out a Patterson cross on 31 minutes while at the other end Button saved Akins' header from a superb Cresswell cross. On 41 minutes a shot from Akins was only parried by Button but Rovers couldn't take advantage of the loose ball inside the Plymouth area. A minute before half time Kari Arnason fired a low shot just inches past Warner's post, a reminder that the game was far from over. Cresswell forced a decent save out of Button with a free kick five minutes into the second half, but the home side soon began to pressure the Rovers goal and it needed a couple of decent clearances from Mark McChrystal to keep them out. But Rovers sustained the pressure from the hosts and responded with their second goal of the afternoon. A corner on the right was sent in by Cresswell, Labadie laid it off to the edge of the area from where Elford-Alliyu beat Button for his brace. It was almost 2-1 seconds later as a shot from Mason hit the post and went behind for a corner and Warner saved a shot from the Plymouth midfielder on 68 minutes. After Arnason sent a shot just past the post on 75 minutes, Showunmi almost stole the ball from Button at the other end moments later. The Rovers striker did get his goal on 80 minutes though. A poor header back to goal from Marcel Seip gave Showunmi a one on one chance with Button and the former Bristol City man made no mistake for his first goal since November. Robinson replaced the hard working Akins with eight minutes remaining and Zoumana Bakayogo came on for Elford-Alliyu soon after. Rovers were denied a clean sheet when Mason found the net as the game went into injury time, and the Plymouth man almost got a second soon after following a slip from Mark McChrystal. Despite a nervy final few minutes for Tranmere, they held on to their two goal lead and left Home Park with three points. Plymouth: Button, Zubar, Nelson, Seip, Duguid (N'Gala 40), Fletcher, Clark, Arnason, Mason, Fallon, Patterson (Young 62). Substitutes not used: Larrieu, Stephens, Peterlin, Timar. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Labadie, Taylor (Wood 90+5), Welsh, Akins (Robinson 82), Showunmi, Elford-Alliyu (Bakayogo 87). Substitutes not used: Collister, Cathalina, Mahon, McGurk. Referee: Graham Horwood Yellow cards: Arnason (51), Labadie (68), Fletcher (71), Showunmi (80) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports