Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 at 16:54 PM

Report: Peterborough 2 Tranmere 1

Tranmere's five game unbeaten run came to an end at Peterborough as the Posh came from behind to win 2-1. Rovers took the lead through John Welsh in the first half but a Grant McCann shot and an own goal from Enoch Showunmi gave Peterborough the points. It was a harsh result on Tranmere who showed plenty of attacking threat, particularly in an exciting first half. Rovers named an unchanged team for the third game in a row, with Dale Jennings again missing out due to a groin injury. Michael Kay had to clear a dangerous cross from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing after the midfielder had broken past Ian Goodison inside the Tranmere area in the third minute. The two sides traded possession before Joss Labadie and Lateef Elford-Alliyu both saw long range shots fail to find the target. Joe Lewis had to save with his legs from Enoch Showunmi's shot on the turn on 13 minutes while at the other end Tony Warner did well to turn Charlie Lee's deflected effort around the post. Ash Taylor's shot from distance went past the post on 18 minutes as the action swung from end to end at pace and Lewis kept out Akins' attempt soon after. On 24 minutes Rovers took the lead. Mark Bennett was dispossessed by Showunmi on the left wing and the striker looked up to find John Welsh racing into the area who side footed past Lewis into the bottom corner of the net. George Boyd's attempt to level went wide of the target on 29 minutes while Akins' shot missed the Peterborough goal after excellent work from Showunmi as Tranmere counter attacked at pace. Rovers, gaining in confidence as the half went on, were defending strongly against Peterborough's prolific attacking threat which had seen them score 17 goals in their previous four home games. The hosts were restricted to just one more chance in the half, with Goodison blocking Mendez-Laing's shot before it could trouble Warner. Seven minutes into the second half Peterborough drew level. The ball was played into the area by Boyd and after Rovers failed to clear, the ball fell to Grant McCann whose effort beat Warner from around 15 yards. Labadie fired wide from 25 yards as Tranmere looked to regain the lead, while Zoumana Bakayogo replaced Akins on 65 minutes with Elford-Alliyu switching to the right. Aaron Cresswell did well to prevent Mackail-Smith from shooting on 67 minutes but from the corner that followed Peterborough took the lead, with the ball coming off the head of Showunmi and going into his own net. Robbie Weir came on for his Tranmere debut in place of Ash Taylor as Rovers went with a more attacking midfield and Andy Robinson replaced Labadie soon after. The changes, though, didn't have the desired impact as Peterborough held out for the win. Tranmere pressed forward as the game drew on, but the best chances before the final whistle saw Weir fire over the bar from outside the area and Robinson carve out a decent position only for his effort to also go over the top. Peterborough: Lewis, Little Zakuani, Bennett, Basey, Mendez-Laing (Ball 65), Lee, McCann, Boyd (Rowe 85), Mackail-Smith, Tomlin. Substitutes not used: Jones, Langmead, Davies, Wesolowski, Kennedy. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Labadie (Robinson 78), Taylor (Weir 74), Welsh, Akins (Bakayogo 65), Showunmi, Elford-Alliyu. Substitutes not used: Collister, Wood, Cathalina, McGurk. Referee: Grant Hegley Yellow cards: Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports