Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Feb 11 at 16:52 PM

Report: Tranmere 0 Yeovil 1

A second half goal from Oliver Johnson was enough to give Yeovil a 1-0 win over Tranmere at Prenton Park. In a match of few decent chances on goal, Lateef Elford-Alliyu, Enoch Showunmi, Adam McGurk and Lucas Akins came closest for Rovers but they were unable to seriously test the Yeovil goal. There were two changes to the side that started at Brentford, with Robbie Weir and Zoumana Bakayogo coming in for the suspended Joss Labadie and the injured Aaron Cresswell, while Sam Morrow and Max Blanchard returned to the bench. Lucas Akins forced a corner for Rovers in the fifth minute and after a couple of passes between John Welsh and Lateef Elford-Alliyu, a header from Ash Taylor went wide of goal. Enoch Showunmi's pass put Akins through on goal on seven minutes but Paul Huntington was quickly across to clear. Akins sent a left foot shot wide of goal from the edge of the area after Showunmi knocked down Weir's cross on 13 minutes while a free kick from Welsh went straight through a crowded penalty area and just past the far post six minutes later. Elford-Alliyu smashed a left foot volley into the side netting from an acute angle after running onto Taylor's lofted pass on 23 minutes as Rovers continued to enjoy the better of the opening stages. Sam Williams volleyed wide from the edge of the area for Yeovil on 32 minutes while Tony Warner comfortably held Oliver Johnson's cross six minutes later, the last serious goalmouth action of the half. Michael Kay blocked Johnson's dangerous ball across goal on 51 minutes and a long range effort from Andrew Tutte went well wide of the target seven minutes later. The best move of the game saw Elford-Alliyu's low effort tipped around the post by Yeovil keeper Stephen Henderson after Bakayogo's cross was only cleared as far as the edge of the area. Weir fired over the bar from a free kick that didn't go according to plan on 67 minutes and the midfielder was replaced by Andy Robinson a few minutes later. Rovers almost took the lead on 74 minutes when Showunmi beat Henderson to Bakayogo's cross but the striker had to shoot first time from his own knock down and his tricky left foot volley went across goal and wide. Yeovil broke quickly on 76 minutes only for Johnson to shoot just past the right hand post, while Adam McGurk came on for Akins soon after. However, the striker had been on the pitch just seconds when Yeovil went ahead. Warner raced out of his goal to head a long ball clear and with Michael Kay unable to control, the ball fell to Johnson whose long range lob beat John Welsh and landed in the net. Henderson spilled a 20 yard shot from McGurk on 85 minutes but he reacted quickly enough to claim the ball ahead of the onrushing Showunmi while Warner held on to Dean Bowditch's low drive at the opposite end. Elford-Alliyu hit the side netting after good work from Goodison and a Showunmi header across goal somehow missed Robinson. Another Elford-Alliyu shot was charged down and in a final throw of the dice Welsh ran through the Yeovil half before sending his attempt wide of goal. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Bakayogo, Weir (Robinson 70), Taylor, Welsh, Akins (McGurk 76), Showunmi, Elford-Alliyu. Substitutes not used: Collister, Cathalina, Wood, Blanchard, Morrow. Yeovil: Henderson, Huntington, Smith, Andrew Williams (Bowditch 67), Ayling, Sam Williams, Johnson, Ehmer, Upson, Tutte (Alcock 86), Wotton. Substitutes not used: Martin, Russell, Calver, German, Fitzsimon. Referee: Mark Brown Yellow cards: Ayling (18) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports