Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Mar 11 at 16:56 PM

Report: Charlton 1 Tranmere 1

Tranmere claimed their second away draw in a week as Enoch Showunmi's tenth goal of the season gave them a 1-1 draw at Charlton.

Rovers took the lead after the striker had been sent through by Zoumana Bakayogo but The Addicks drew level early in the second half.

It was a good point for Les Parry's side who moved to 39 points for the season.

There was one change to the team that started at Exeter with Joss Labadie returning from suspension to take the place of Lateef Elford-Alliyu with Andy Robinson pushing into attack. Former Rovers loanee Simon Francis started at right back for Charlton.

The starting formation against Charlton

Good work from Enoch Showunmi, Robinson and Labadie almost carved out an opening for Tranmere on four minutes but Carl Jenkinson cleared for the hosts.

The majority of the early possession went Charlton's way but Chris Powell's side were unable to create any chances in the opening 15 minutes. In fact neither team tested the keeper in the first quarter of the match, though Bradley Wright-Phillips did register the first shot of the match on 18 minutes, sending his effort high over Tony Warner's goal.

Thierry Racon also fired over the top after winning the ball from Ash Taylor on 19 minutes while Robbie Weir and Andy Robinson almost combined to create a shooting chance at the other end.

On 26 minutes Rovers took the lead. A fine challenge from Zoumana Bakayogo saw him win the ball on the halfway line and the former Millwall player sent Showunmi through one on one with a pass and he slotted past Rob Elliott for his tenth goal of the season.

Scott Wagstaff fired straight at Warner on 32 minutes after receiving the ball from Wright-Phillips while Rovers were temporarily reduced to ten men soon after as Taylor had to leave the pitch due to a cut.

With Taylor back in the action after a couple of minutes of treatment, Rovers almost added a second when John Welsh's long range shot forced Elliot to turn behind for a corner.

Francis got away from Bakayogo on the stroke of half time and his dangerous cross was headed onto the roof of the net by Paul Benson, a reminder to Rovers that the game was far from over.

Charlton were forced into a change for the start of the second half with the injured Elliot replaced by Ross Worner in goal.

The home side drew level eight minutes into the second half. A free kick just outside the penalty area for a foul by Welsh gave Charlton a decent chance and defender Miguel Llera superbly found the net to equalise.

Llera had another free kick shooting opportunity on 63 minutes but his curler went over the bar to the relief of the travelling supporters.

At the other end Robinson's header from a Cresswell cross was put behind for a corner and Labadie fired over from the same supplier.

Robinson was replaced by Elford-Alliyu with 15 minutes remaining while Warner held on to a Benson header as Charlton looked for a second.

Bakayogo and Showunmi combined well on 79 minutes but the former's pass to Elford-Alliyu was over hit and a decent opportunity came to an end.

A foul on Labadie gave Tranmere a free kick in a promising position on 80 minutes but Cresswell's powerful effort went narrowly over Worner's crossbar.

Showunmi put the ball in the Charlton net on 85 minutes but his effort was ruled out for a foul by Elford-Alliyu on Worner seconds earlier.

The final stages were tense for the travelling Tranmere fans as Charlton threw men forward, but Rovers defended well enough to come away with a share of the points.

Charlton: Elliot (Worner 45 HT), Francis, Dailly, Llera, Jenkinson, Wagstaff, Semedo, Racon, McCormack (Reid 82), Benson, Wright-Phillips (Eccleston 82). Substitutes not used: Stavrinou, Solly, Fortune, Harriott.

Tranmere: Warner, Weir, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Welsh, Taylor, Labadie, Robinson (Elford-Alliyu 75), Showunmi, Bakayogo. Substitutes not used: Collister, Kay, Wood, Blanchard, McGurk, Akins.

Referee: David Coote

Yellow cards: Welsh (31), Warner (57), Labadie (62), Semedo (89), McChrystal (90+4)

Away attendance: 300

Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports