Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Mar 11 at 16:55 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Colchester 0

Enoch Showunmi's second half strike gave Tranmere a 1-0 win over Colchester and took them over the 40 point mark for the season. In a closely fought match at Prenton Park, it was the striker's 11th goal of the season that made the difference along with goal line clearances from Ian Goodison and Aaron Cresswell. There was one change to the side that started at Brighton, with Dale Jennings returning from injury to take the place of Zoumana Bakayogo. Colchester dominated the early possession and Tony Warner had to save with his right hand in the third minute after Anthony Wordsworth side footed a volley towards the bottom corner from an unmarked position on the edge of the area. Rovers forced their first corner on six minutes and Ian Goodison was just inches from getting a vital head on Cresswell's cross from the right. With the ball cleared behind by Colchester, it was sent back in by Cresswell, this time along the ground, and Goodison's low shot was saved on the line. With Andy Robinson showing some neat early touches, the former Swansea player was unlucky to see his well flighted cross just turned out of the path of Akins at the far post. Showunmi's flick down from Cresswell's cross landed just beyond the path of Robinson on 17 minutes while Warner dropped Lloyd James' free kick at the other end but reacted quickly enough to gather before Colchester could take advantage. A superb cross field pass from Robbie Weir found Jennings in space on the left on 20 minutes and he fed a through ball into the area for Showunmi, but after turning towards goal the striker's left foot shot went into the side netting. Ben Willams dropped Cresswell's looping cross on 24 minutes, and though Robinson tried to capitalise by sending the ball straight back into the area, the Colchester keeper recovered quickly enough to catch on his line. A shot from Akins was blocked for a corner on 25 minutes and a foul on John Welsh brought Rovers a free kick in a promising position 11 minutes later from which Jennings' effort struck the wall and deflected just over the bar. Rovers came closest to opening the scoring on 45 minutes. A free kick awarded for a foul on Akins 35 yards out was whipped in by Cresswell and after going over the heads of Showunmi and Goodison struck the outside of the left hand post with Williams stood in the middle of his goal. There was still time for another chance, with Weir curling wide from 25 yards as the sides went into the break all square at 0-0. Robinson flashed a shot over the bar from a tight angle after running on to Akins' pass in the first minute of the second half and the attacking midfielder was brought down just outside the area soon after though no free kick was given. Jennings and Goodison both failed with close range efforts but Rovers' next shot gave them the lead. Robinson picked Showunmi out as he ran towards the area, the striker controlled well and held off a defender before rolling the ball past Williams with his right foot for his 11th goal of the season. Welsh headed a Cresswell cross wide of the near post on 55 minutes as Tranmere looked for a second but it needed a goal line clearance from Goodison to keep them ahead seconds later as Odejayi beat Warner to a cross only for the Jamaican to head away from the top corner. Zoumana Bakayogo replaced Jennings just past the hour mark with Joss Labadie coming on for Akins following a spell of play that saw little created by either side. Cresswell headed off the line from a Colchester corner as the visitors pressed forward, but the chance proved to be their last for a while as the double change gave Rovers fresh legs. Welsh tried an audacious 35 yard diving header with Williams out of his area on 83 minutes, but his effort ended up on the left wing from where Bakayogo's cross was turned out of the path of Labadie by the Colchester keeper. Ash Taylor came on for Robinson with five minutes left and the youngster immediately marked his presence with a towering clearing header. With four minutes of time added on it made for a nervy final few minutes, but Rovers spent much of it in the Colchester half and even saw Labadie fire narrowly wide of the target moments before the final whistle blew.  Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Weir, Welsh, Robinson (Taylor 86), Akins (Labadie 73), Showunmi, Jennings (Bakayogo 63). Substitutes not used: Collister, Blanchard, Mahon, McGurk. Colchester: Williams, Clarke, Vincent (Henderson 83), Odejayi, Perkins, Gillespie, Wilson, Wordsworth (Bond 69), Coker, James (O'Toole 83), Smith. Substitutes not used: Izzet, Cousins, Bond, White, Heath. Referee: Andy Woolmer Yellow cards: Welsh (31), Kay (37), Wordsworth (59) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports