Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Apr 11 at 16:55 PM

Report: Tranmere 2 Dagenham 0

First half goals from Enoch Showunmi and Ian Goodison earned Tranmere a 2-0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge and a vital three points. The victory, which was well deserved and could have been by a greater margin, moved Les Parry's side to 49 points, six points clear of the bottom four. There were no changes to the side that defeated Bournemouth a week earlier, though Dale Jennings returned from injury to be named among the substitutes. On the bench for the visitors was former Tranmere striker Bas Savage. After a first few minutes that saw the ball spend most of the time in the air, Enoch Showunmi had the ball in the Dagenham net only for his 10 yard effort to be correctly ruled out for handball by Ian Goodison in the build up. On nine minutes Showunmi released Aaron Cresswell into the left side of the area but the former youth team member was too far ahead of his team mates and his cross went straight through the penalty area and out for a goal kick. However, Cresswell's next cross led to the opening goal. After the ball found the makeshift midfielder out wide, he whipped in a superb cross to the edge of the six yard box from where Showunmi jumped highest to head across the keeper and into the far corner of the net for his 12th goal of the season. It wasn't far off 2-0 on 16 minutes, with a Cresswell free kick flying through the area and Goodison only able to get the slightest of touches as the ball went out the other side. And a minute later Joss Labadie went one on one with Tony Roberts and tried to lift the ball over the lunging goalkeeper but the veteran stopper reacted quickly to claim with his feet. The chances kept coming, with Mark Arber's attempted back pass going beyond Roberts on 18 minutes and only just the safe side of the left hand post. From the corner that followed, the ball was cleared as far as Zoumana Bakayogo whose cross was flicked into the area by Labadie and, six yards out, Showunmi put a header over the bar. Showunmi almost beat Roberts to a weak back pass from Scott Doe on 23 minutes and Labadie sent a 25 yard effort past the left hand post soon after as Rovers continued to attack. A fine last ditch challenge from Doe denied Robbie Weir a golden chance to double Tranmere's lead on 30 minutes after the midfielder had latched on to a loose ball and raced into the Dagenham area. Cresswell tried a speculative lob from 35 yards wide on the left after running on to Showunmi's fine through ball but Roberts was able to back peddle fast enough to gather just in front of his line. The second goal came on 34 minutes. A free kick awarded for a foul on Cresswell was whipped into the area by Labadie and Ian Goodison rose at the back post to head past Roberts for his sixth goal of the season and his second in two games. Bas Savage's return to action at Prenton Park came sooner than expected when he replaced the injured John Akinde on 37 minutes and the popular striker received a great round of applause from all sides of the ground. Both Goodison and Showunmi were inches from making it 3-0 on 42 minutes, with the pair narrowly failing to make contact with another superb set piece from Cresswell. Darren Currie joined the action for the visitors at the start of the second half, replacing Olly Lee in midfield. Cresswell's fine afternoon of crossing continued with the start of the second half, as he sent in three balls that offered chances for the Rovers attack. However, none of them could be capitalised on by Showunmi or Akins. Tony Warner was forced into his first save of the afternoon on 54 minutes when he kept out Currie's effort with his knees at his near post. Weir and Akins failed to control Showunmi's cross on 58 minutes as the visitors began to come back into the match, having long spells of possession in the Tranmere half. Adam McGurk replaced Cresswell on 66 minutes and soon whipped in a dangerous cross which had to be cut out of the path of Showunmi by Roberts. The majority of Prenton Park thought a penalty had been awarded on 69 minutes when Labadie appeared to have his legs taken from under him by Doe following good work from McGurk and Showunmi, but referee David Coote pointed in the opposite direction and awarded a free kick, booking the Rovers midfielder for diving. Roberts held on to Labadie's fierce volley from 25 yards on 72 minutes and the keeper kept out McGurk's well taken free kick three minutes later with one hand. From the resulting corner Rovers somehow failed to get the ball in the net, with Goodison getting in the way of Labadie's header and Taylor firing high over the bar. A fine save from Warner denied Femi Ilesanmi what would have been a bullet header of a goal on 78 minutes and Romain Vincelot shot straight at the Tranmere keeper soon after. Max Blanchard came on for Robbie Weir with six minutes of normal time remaining, taking up the same role in midfield alongside Taylor and Labadie. After receiving treatment from George Cain for a knock on his ankle Goodison returned to action just as it looked like he was set to be replaced by Nick Wood. In the final minute of injury time Currie sent a free kick high over the bar for the visitors before Wood came on for Goodison who left to applause from the Rovers fans. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison (Wood 90+6), McChrystal, Bakayogo, Weir (Blanchard 84), Taylor, Labadie, Akins, Showunmi, Cresswell (McGurk 66). Substitutes not used: Collister, Jennings, Fraughan, Robinson. Dagenham: Roberts, Doe, Arber, Green (Lancaster 71), Nurse, Ogogo, Vincelot, Ilesanmi, Gain, Lee (Currie 45HT), Akinde (Savage 36). Substitutes not used: McCrory, Antwi, Bingham, Lewington. Referee: David Coote Yellow cards: Lee (39), Showunmi (62), Labadie (69), Lancaster (77), Weir (80) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports