Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 May 11 at 17:44 PM

Report: Tranmere 0 Swindon 2

Tranmere failed to make it three wins from the final three games in the season as two first half goals gave Swindon Town a 2-0 win at Prenton Park.

Despite a bright start, Rovers conceded within the first ten minutes, and the second goal minutes before half time sealed the win for the visitors.

Les Parry named an unchanged team following the 3-0 win at Leyton Orient, with Adam McGurk again lining up in the central attacking position.

The starting formation against Swindon

Rovers started at a high tempo, with two shots in the opening ten seconds as Dale Jennings saw an effort charged down before Andy Robinson's powerful volley hit an opposition player and went out for a corner. Aaron Cresswell took the set piece and Ash Taylor escaped unmarked at the near post but he had to shoot from a difficult angle and hit the side netting.

Robbie Weir fired over the bar on four minutes but despite Tranmere's impressive start it was the visitors who took the lead. Rovers failed to clear a corner and the ball dropped to Jean-Francois Lescinel who turned to smash the ball in from inside the six yard box.

It should have been 1-1 on 13 minutes when a low Lucas Akins show was parried into the path of Jennings by Swindon keeper Phil Smith but the newly crowned Young Player of the Season put his shot wide of an open goal from six yards.

McGurk curled wide of the far post on 14 minutes while Warner parried a long range effort from Nathan Thompson at the other end six minutes later before having to superbly dive to his right to keep out Billy Bodin's rebound effort.

McGurk put another 25 yard shot over the top on 25 minutes when he perhaps had more time than he realised while Bodin almost doubled his side's lead six minutes later when he lobbed Warner after capitalising on an error from the goalkeeper but his shot hit the side netting.

Bodin shot across goal and narrowly wide on 36 minutes after getting past the challenge of Taylor and a couple of minutes later the visitors went 2-0 up. Cresswell's free kick was cleared long up the pitch and the ball was played to Michael Timlin who brilliantly curled beyond Warner and into the far corner of the goal from 25 yards out.

Akins forced Smith to save at his near post on 45 minutes after good work from McGurk and Jennings and McGurk headed over from the resulting corner, the final chance of the half.

Rovers almost clawed a goal back in the third minute of the second half when Cresswell drilled a free kick against the far post from 30 yards following a foul on Robinson. The ball bounced awkwardly into the path of Akins and his header went just wide of the target.

Weir shot over the bar from an Akins long throw as Tranmere continued to press in the early stages of the half and a Robinson cross went straight through the six yard box and just past Akins on 55 minutes.

Joss Labadie replaced Akins just after the hour mark with Weir moving out wide to the right.

Robinson brought a comfortable save out of Smith on 68 minutes, his last involvement before being replaced by Mark McChrystal, a change that saw Ian Goodison move into attack.

It was close to paying immediate dividends as the Jamaican veteran used his strength to win the ball 30 yards out before McGurk fired a shot narrowly over the bar.

Jennings tested Smith with a low angled effort on 72 minutes and Labadie shot over the bar following a Goodison lay off a few minutes later.

Matt Ritchie wasted a chance to put Swindon 3-0 up when Bodin raced clear after Kay dallied on the ball, while Labadie failed to get a shot away after being put through by Goodison at the other end.

Rovers' final change saw Zoumana Bakayogo introduced in place of Weir and Jennings move to the right.

However, the substitution did little to improve the home side's fortunes who ended the season with defeat.

Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Taylor, Goodison, Cresswell, Weir (Bakayogo 83), Welsh, Robinson (McChrystal 69), Akins (Labadie 62), McGurk, Jennings. Substitutes not used: Coughlin, Wood, Blanchard, Mahon.

Swindon: Smith, Thompson (Clark 89), Cuthbert, Lescinel (Flint 85), Rose, Caddis, Ferry, Timlin, Ritchie, Bodin, Benyon (Storey 82). Substitutes not used: Prutton, McGovern, Pavett, Scott.

Referee: Nigel Miller

Yellow cards: Bodin (51), Benyon (58), Goodison (79)

Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports