Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 at 16:58 PM

Huddersfield 0 Tranmere 0

Rovers picked up their first point of the 2010-11 season with a hard fought 0-0 draw at Huddersfield Town. Les Parry's side defended well throughout to keep a second clean sheet in the space of five days and restrict the home side's chances while creating one or two decent opportunities themselves. Tranmere named an unchanged team following the midweek win over Walsall, with goalkeeper Joe Collister keeping his place in the side, while new loan signing Kayleden Brown was named among the substitutes. Former Rovers midfielder Antony Kay was on the bench for Huddersfield. Rovers took to the pitch in their new claret and blue away kit and registered the first shot of the game on three minutes when Enoch Showunmi forced the home keeper into a save after turning his marker. Joey Gudjonsson sent an effort over Collister's bar a minute later but Rovers responded quickly with Terry Gornell firing in a powerful volley from 30 yards which was well saved by Alex Smithies. Aaron Cresswell cleared Gary Roberts' free kick 12 minutes and Anthony Pilkington sent a long range effort over the top five minutes later as the home side began to assert themselves on the game. Showunmi wasn't too far from opening the scoring on 23 minutes when he closed down Smithies as he attempted to clear the ball from his area. The keeper's effort struck the legs of the tall Rovers striker and bounced just past Huddersfield's empty goal. At the other end a cross from Scott Arfield went straight through the Tranmere penalty area and Collister produced a good save to deny Jordan Rhodes after the ball bounced over Cresswell. Arfield shot wide after running through the Rovers defence on 31 minutes and Jamie McCombe put an effort over the bar six minutes later, and despite their pressure towards the end of the half, the sides went into the break all square. An injury to McLaren gave Max Blanchard his Tranmere debut with just under half an hour remaining, with the Frenchman slotting into the holding midfield role. A cross from Ian Thomas-Moore just missed the head of Ian Goodison on 65 minutes and Joss Labadie fired over the bar a minute later as Rovers pressed forward. Huddersfield boss Lee Clark replaced strikers Jordan Rhodes and Joe Garner with Theo Robinson and Lee Novak respectively in a bid to break down the Tranmere back line, while Rovers brought on Kayleden Brown in place of Showunmi with 15 minutes left. A cross from Thomas-Moore went through the Huddersfield six yard box on 77 minutes and as the action quickly moved up the pitch, Collister was off his line to claim a dangerous Huddersfield cross. The home side threw men forward in the closing stages but Rovers defended admirably and were boosted in the 86th minute when Gary Naysmith was shown his second yellow card of the afternoon to leave Huddersfield with ten men. Thomas-Moore and Labadie almost combined to great effect on 88 minutes but the latter was flagged offside. Robinson shot harmlessly wide for the hosts as the game entered five minutes of added time and the striker headed beyond the target a minute later from close range, the final chance of the game for either side. Huddersfield: Smithies, Peltier, Naysmith, Gudjonsson, Clarke, Roberts, Garner (Novak 62), Pilkington, Arfield (Johnson 74), Rhodes (Robinson 71), McCombe. Substitutes not used: Bennett, Kay, Croft, Carey. Tranmere: Collister, Darville, Wood, Goodison, Cresswell, Labadie, McLaren (Blanchard 62), Welsh, Gornell, Showunmi (Brown 75), Thomas-Moore. Substitutes not used: Miotto, Bakayogo, Fraughan, Power, McGurk. Referee: Geoff Eltringham Yellow cards: Wood (45+1), Showunmi (59), Naysmith (65) Red card: Naysmith (86)

    Latest Match Reports