Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 22 Aug 10 at 12:06 PM

Tranmere 0 Bournemouth 3

Tranmere suffered their second home defeat of the season as newly-promoted Bournemouth secured a comfortable 3-0 victory at Prenton Park.

Goals from Josh McQuoid, Michael Symes and Marc Pugh were enough for the visitors to claim all three points on an afternoon when Rovers were second-best throughout.

Although Tranmere looked sharp in the very early exchanges, they were undone by a swift Bournemouth break away on eight minutes. After a Paul McLaren free-kick was cleared to the edge of the area, Michael Symes fired the loose ball down field and Josh McQuoid raced away from John Welsh to finish calmly past Joe Collister.

Enoch Showunmi threatened briefly down the left flank as Rovers looked for a quick equaliser, but the visitors doubled their lead soon after. Having set up McQuoid for the opener, Symes added his own name to the score-sheet with just 18 minutes on the clock, slotting coolly past Collister from the penalty spot after being brought down by Ian Goodison.

Goodison was inches away from bringing Rovers back into the game on 24 minutes but the Jamaican was just beaten to the flick on by goalkeeper Shwan Jalal, while at the other end Collister found himself in no man's land but Rovers had plenty of players back to clear Symes' effort.

The hosts were almost undone once more with a long pass down the middle on the half hour, but Liam Feeney failed to take advantage of some fairly shaky defending and Collister was relieved to make a simple save.

Marvin Bartley and Anton Robinson combined to set up McQuoid on the edge of the area but his shot was blocked, while John Welsh threw himself in front of Robinson's goal-bound effort a couple of minutes later after Bartley had beaten Aaron Cresswell down the left.

Collister tipped Rhoys Wiggins' looping cross over the bar for a corner, while Cresswell's 25-yard free-kick at the other end deflected off his own man and drifted harmlessly wide for a goal kick.

Showunmi nodded past the far post from Cresswell's cross, before Bournemouth almost made it 3-0 when Bartley curled just inches wide with a first-time effort from 25 yards.

Joss Labadie tricked his way into a shooting position in first-half injury time but his daisy-cutter was comfortably saved by Jalal, leaving the hosts with a mountain to climb at the break.

Loanee Kayleden Brown was introduced for Paul McLaren at the start of the second half as Les Parry switched to 4-4-2, and the home side were faintly encouraging in the early stages, Terry Gornell having a shot blocked and Ian Thomas-Moore volleying wide from distance.

Joe Collister made a superb low save to deny Marc Pugh after the Bournemouth man had out-muscled Liam Darville, while only an Ian Goodison interception denied Stephen Purches just before the hour.

The visitors only had to wait a minute for their third goal, however, and again it came from a swift counter-attack down the middle. Rhoys Wiggins burst easily past a couple of Rovers players and found McQuoid, who played in Pugh to finish simply past Collister.

Rovers immediately withdrew Labadie for Ryan Fraughan, and Ian Thomas-Moore headed straight at Jalal from a right-wing cross in his last act before being replaced by Adam McGurk.

Despite the changes, the home side failed to seriously trouble Jalal in the Bournemouth goal for much of the remainder of the game, although Showunmi hit a late effort wide and Cresswell's goal-bound shot was blocked in injury time. At the other end, it could have been 4-0 late on when both Bradbury and Pugh fired straight at Collister.

Tranmere: Collister, Cresswell, Goodison, Wood, Darville, McLaren (sub: Brown, 45), Welsh, Labadie (sub: Fraughan, 64), Thomas-Moore (sub: McGurk, 68), Gornell, Showunmi.

AFC Bournemouth: Jalal, McQuoid (sub: Bradbury, 64), Symes (sub: Stockley, 84), Pugh, Pearce, Cooper, Feeney (sub: Hollands, 77), Bartley, Robinson, Purches, Wiggins.

Yellow cards: Purches (38), Labadie (45), Robinson (48),


    Latest Match Reports