Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 25 Sep 10 at 17:06 PM

Report: Colchester 3 Tranmere 1

Three first half goals set Colchester United up for a comfortable win over Tranmere at the Weston Homes Community Stadium. All three strikes came from set pieces as Rovers found themselves well behind after half an hour for the second away game in a row. Peter Gulacsi saved a penalty late in the second half and Enoch Showunmi scored his fifth of the season soon after, but it was as close as Rovers came to a comeback. Manager Les Parry made one change to the side that started against Charlton, with youth team striker Dale Jennings making his first start in place of the injured Sam Morrow. Paul McLaren, Ian Thomas-Moore and Adam McGurk all returned from injury to be named among the substitutes. Two early attacks from Jennings and Lucas Akins were snuffed out by the home defence and Colchester scored soon after. Enoch Showunmi and Max Blanchard both failed to clear Anthony Wordsworth's corner with the ball eventually falling to David Perkins whose shot was turned past Peter Gulacsi by David Mooney. It was almost 2-0 on ten minutes. Wordsworth's free kick was cleared by Blanchard but only as far as Ashley Vincent whose shot went just over the Tranmere bar. An Aaron Cresswell free kick hit the wall as Rovers looked for a quick equaliser while Goodison dealt well with a Perkins cross at the other end. Another set piece cost Tranmere a second goal on 16 minutes, this time Wordsworth curling a free kick over the wall and beyond Gulacsi into the Rovers net. Gulacsi saved Vincent's long range shot on 18 minutes while Jennings picked out John Welsh at the other end only for Joss Labadie to move offside for the cross that followed. However, Colchester found the target a third time with their next attack. Another Wordsworth free kick reached the far post  was headed back across goal by Andy Bond and Magnus Okuonghae headed in to put the home side well in control. Mark Cousins raced out of his goal to deny Showunmi a shooting opportunity on 41 minutes, the last chance of a disappointing half for Rovers which ended with Bond firing over the bar for the U's. A low cross from Labadie had to be cut out by Cousins on 52 minutes while Gulacsi denied Vincent at the other end moments later. Thomas-Moore replaced Akins eight minutes into the second half as Les Parry added experience to the attack. Goodison blocked a Colchester shot on 60 minutes and the Jamaican defender cleared the danger from the resulting corner, while Ryan Fraughan replaced Arnaud Mendy soon after. Mooney sent a shot wide of the goal for Colchester on 65 minutes and Labadie repeated the feat at the other end soon after. Tranmere's final substitution saw McGurk replace Jennings on 67 minutes and the former Aston Villa striker played a hand in Rovers' next attack only for Fraughan to fire over the bar. Kayode Odejayi and Liam Henderson missed with efforts for Colchester and soon after the home side were awarded a penalty when Goodison was adjudged to have fouled Bond inside the area. However, Gulacsi dived the right way and pulled off a great save to keep the deficit to three. A minute later Rovers pulled a goal back, with Labadie's pass releasing Showunmi and the striker raced through the Colchester defence before beating Cousins for his fifth goal of the season. Perkins shot over the bar for Colchester on 86 minutes and Gulacsi did well to deny Odejayi when the big striker was one on one with the Rovers keeper, the final chance of the game for either team. Colchester: Cousins, White, Okuonghae, Tierney, Reid, Bond (Ian Henderson 72), Wordsworth, Perkins, Izzet, Vincent (Liam Henderson 67), Mooney (Odejayi 75). Substitutes not used: Gillespie, Williams, Heath, James. Tranmere: Gulacsi, Blanchard, Grandison, Goodison, Cresswell, Labadie, Welsh, Mendy (Fraughan 62), Akins (Thomas-Moore 53), Showunmi, Jennings (McGurk 70 ). Substitutes not used: Collister, Cathalina, Bakayogo, McLaren. Referee: Phil Crossley Yellow cards: Mendy (42), Blanchard (72), Goodison (80), Welsh (88)

    Latest Match Reports