Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Nov 10 at 16:55 PM

Report: Bournemouth 5 Tranmere 3

TRANMERE POPPY SHIRT AUCTIONS NOW ONLINE - CLICK HERE TO BID Tranmere's FA Cup campaign came to an end at the first hurdle in a remarkable match against fellow League 1 side Bournemouth at Dean Court.   A flying start from the home side saw the Cherries go three goals up after only seven minutes, but strikes from Aaron Cresswell and Ian Goodison put Rovers just one down at half time. Ian Thomas-Moore levelled early in the second half to complete the comeback, but home striker Josh McQuoid restored the lead soon after with his hat-trick strike and Liam Feeney rounded off the scoring soon after.   There was one change to the side that started at Carlisle, with goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi not featuring in the cup tie and his place going to Joe Collister with Simon Miotto on the bench. The home side took the lead inside the first minute, with Liam Feeney's shot taking a touch off Ian Goodison, deflecting through Collister's legs, rebounding off the post and along the goal line to the far post where Josh McQuoid tapped in. The Cherries then made it 2-0 and gave Rovers a mountain to climb on five minutes, with the ball falling to McQuoid inside the area and his powerful shot flying past Collister into the right side of the net. Unbelievably, their third shot made it 3-0 on seven minutes, this time Marc Pugh smashing an unstoppable effort into the top right corner from outside the area. Collister caught Pugh's far post header from an Adam Smith cross on 19 minutes while Dale Jennings hit the side netting after a mazy run at the other end with Tranmere's first shot of the game. An Aaron Cresswell goal line block prevented the score from becoming 4-0 on 22 minutes when Tim Cathalina got in the way of Steve Fletcher's shot and Danny Hollands volleyed the rebound through a crowded area. Rovers gave themselves a lifeline on 26 minutes when, following a foul on Joss Labadie, Aaron Cresswell's 30 yard free kick went straight through the arms of Shwan Jalal and into the net, with the special FA Cup orange ball perhaps causing problems. McQuoid's 20 yard low effort went just past the outstretched arm of Collister and the right hand post on 29 minutes, while Ian Thomas-Moore's attempted right foot chip was comfortably saved by Jalal soon after. Rovers reduced the deficit to one three minutes from half time when Welsh's floated cross from the right was met by Goodison, with the centre back's header bouncing in the six yard box and into the top left corner of the goal. Max Blanchard tried to level things in the second minute of added time but his 25 yard left foot volley went a couple of yards wide of the target. It proved to be Blanchard's last action of the game, with the Frenchman replaced by Lucas Akins for the start of the second half as Rovers switched to 4-4-2, Akins and Jennings taking up the wide roles with Enoch Showunmi and Thomas-Moore in the middle. A Pugh free kick curled just over the top of Collister's bar on 48 minutes but Rovers made it 3-3 five minutes later, this time Jalal spilling a Cresswell free kick and Thomas-Moore pouncing to convert from close range. Another Cresswell free kick curled just past the left hand post as Rovers looked to go ahead for the first time, but moments later the Cherries regained their lead, with McQuoid racing through the Rovers half and firing a low shot past Collister from the edge of the area to complete his hat-trick. It became 5-3 just past the hour mark, with tricky winger Liam Feeney curling a shot into the far left corner of the goal to give Tranmere another uphill struggle. An injury to Jennings saw the striker replaced by Fraughan on 65 minutes, shortly before Welsh's speculative effort went over the Bournemouth bar. Sam Morrow came on for Thomas-Moore with just under 15 minutes of normal time remaining, around the same time a bonfire behind the Steve Fletcher Stand sent plumes of smoke over the pitch. Attempts by McQuoid and Feeney to add to the Cherries' lead failed, though the latter forced Collister to gather at the second attempt after the goalkeeper dropped the shot inside his six yard box. The drama of the opening sixty minutes had slowly disappeared and there were no more chances for Rovers to get back into the game as Bournemouth booked a place in the second round draw.  Bournemouth: Jalal, Cummings, Pearce, McQuoid (Purches 89), Fletcher (Arter 72), Hollands, Bartley (Wiggins 51), Robinson, Smith, Feeney, Pugh. Substitutes not used: Stewart, Stockley. Tranmere: Collister, Cathalina, Broomes, Goodison, Cresswell, Labadie, Blanchard (Akins 45 HT), Welsh, Thomas-Moore (Morrow 77), Showunmi, Jennings (Fraughan 65). Substitutes not used: Miotto, Bakayogo, Grandison, Mendy. Referee: Brendan Malone Yellow cards: Blanchard (23), McQuoid (41), Thomas-Moore (44), Showunmi (90) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports