Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Feb 11 at 21:38 PM

Report: Tranmere 3 Sheff Wed 0

Tranmere picked up their second win in four days as second half goals from Lateef Elford-Alliyu, Ian Goodison and Enoch Showunmi gave them a 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday at Prenton Park. The three points lifted Les Parry's side above Wednesday, six points clear of the bottom four and extended their unbeaten run to five games. Rovers fielded an unchanged team from the one that started at Plymouth, while Robbie Weir was named among the substitutes a day after joining on loan from Sunderland.   Reda Johnson headed over from a corner inside the fourth minute for the visitors while Nicky Weaver had to be alert to prevent a right foot cross from Aaron Cresswell from sneaking in at the near post four minutes later. Blustery conditions meant defending aerial balls was difficult for defenders, and it proved a factor on 12 minutes as Cresswell's cross swerved through the Wednesday six yard box only to be headed into the side netting by Ash Taylor at the far post. A 20 yard effort from Lateef Elford-Alliyu went straight at Weaver on 14 minutes and excellent tracking back from the West Brom loanee and Lucas Akins denied Wednesday two decent attacking opportunities soon after. Three timely blocks from Ian Goodison kept the visitors at bay, with the Jamaican getting his head on an excellent cross which was bound for the unmarked Isaiah Osbourne at the far post. Mark McChrystal required a spell off the pitch just after the half hour for a cut to his head, forcing Ash Taylor to drop into the centre of defence alongside Goodison. John Welsh controlled before volleying over from the edge of the area on 42 minutes and Joss Labadie sliced wide of the target as the game entered injury time. Giles Coke flashed a 20-yard shot wide of the left hand post on 49 minutes, the first chance of the second half which began with the two sides trading possession in the middle of the pitch. Gary Madine brought a save out of Tony Warner with a dipping half volley from 30 yards on 55 minutes while Rovers survived a scare moments later, as Wednesday's Clinton Morrison almost beat Warner to the ball and Madine headed narrowly wide from the corner that followed. However, Tranmere dealt with the pressure and came back with some of their own. A move that started with Taylor forcing Wednesday to take a throw in deep in their own half saw Enoch Showunmi win possession and find Welsh out wide. His cross went through the Owls area straight to Elford-Alliyu who outjumped his marker to head in for his fourth goal in three games. The visitors were reduced to ten men on 64 minutes, with Coke shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Welsh, and from the free kick that followed Rovers doubled their lead. The ball was drilled in by Cresswell and with three or four white shirts closing in, it was Goodison who powered in an unstoppable header at the far post. It was almost 3-0 on 67 minutes as Akins forced a corner from which two dummies allowed Elford-Alliyu the chance to double his tally only for Weaver to save his low shot with his feet. Wednesday's Tommy Spurr sent a dangerously positioned free kick over the bar on 73 minutes and the visitors wasted a decent opportunity three minutes later when Mark Reynolds sent his cross straight into the Cowshed Stand. The third goal came on 81 minutes. After Showunmi had a shot charged down, the striker stayed in position and after Labadie headed the ball back into his path he smashed a left foot volley under Weaver into the net. A Paul Heffernan shot deflected off Goodison for a Wednesday corner on 87 minutes, the final chance of the game for either side. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Labadie, Taylor, Welsh, Akins, Showunmi, Elford-Alliyu. Substitutes not used: Collister, Cathalina, Bakayogo, Wood, Weir, Robinson, McGurk. Sheff Wed: Weaver, Spurr, Reynolds (Jones 79), Johnson, Michael Morrison, Teale (Heffernan 68), O'Conor, Osbourne, Coke, Clinton Morrison, Madine. Substitutes not used: Jameson, Hinds, Sedgwick, Beevers, Mellor. Refere: Neil Swarbrick Yellow cards: Kay (76) Red card: Coke (64) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports