Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Feb 11 at 21:55 PM

Report: Brentford 2 Tranmere 1

A superb strike from Joss Labadie wasn't enough for Rovers who conceded a late goal to lose 2-1 at Brentford. The midfielder netted his second goal of the season from long range midway through the second half after the Bees had led for over an hour. But just as Rovers looked on course for a point, Brentford netted a second in injury time to secure the win. Rovers went unchanged for the fourth game in a row, with Lucas Akins again operating on the opposite side of Enoch Showunmi to Lateef Elford-Alliyu. After a kick off delayed by a quarter of an hour due to heavy traffic around the ground, Brentford took the lead within 90 seconds of the start when Charlie Macdonald turned a header into the top corner from eight yards. Toumani Diagouraga shot into the Tranmere side netting on five minutes as Brentford continued their good start and Tony Warner had to save from Sam Saunders soon after. A long range effort from Joss Labadie missed Richard Lee's goal on 12 minutes while a header from Ian Goodison was caught by the Brentford keeper four minutes later. Diagouraga fired straight at Warner on 17 minutes while Aaron Cresswell forced Lee into making a good save with a curling free kick from just outside the penalty area following a foul on Lucas Akins. A well worked free kick move saw Cresswell's cross dummied by two Tranmere players before Elford-Alliyu had a shot charged down, but it was almost the last action Cresswell was involved in as injury forced him to be replaced by Zoumana Bakayogo on 32 minutes. Labadie picked up his tenth booking of the season a minute before half time to earn a two match suspension, with the midfielder to miss the games against Yeovil and Exeter as a result. The half ended with Brentford leading by a goal, though Rovers had come back into the game after a slow start. Labadie brought a save out of Lee in the fourth minute of the second half following a good lay off from Goodison while a shot from Saunders at the opposite end took a deflection to go for a corner. Akins headed straight at Lee from a Goodison cross on 57 minutes, and after the Brentford keeper's throw out went straight to Showunmi, the Rovers striker put his effort high over the bar as Les Parry's side continued to search for an equaliser. Lee comfortably claimed Labadie's shot on 62 minutes after good work from Showunmi, but the midfielder's next effort gave the keeper no chance of a save. After picking up the ball near the halfway line, the former West Brom player ran towards goal before unleashing an unstoppable effort from around 30 yards which went straight into the top corner. Warner had to save Marcus Bean's 25 yard shot on 65 minutes as Brentford looked for a quick response, while Rovers' goalscorer Labadie was replaced by Weir with just over 15 minutes remaining. A speculative effort from Akins went well wide of target on 75 minutes and Elford-Alliyu ran past Robbie Neilson before shooting past Lee's goal eight minutes later. Lewis Grabban's shot from outside the area deflected into the Tranmere side netting in the 91st minute but Rovers failed to deal with the corner that followed and Saunders' cross was headed in at the far post by Leon Legge. Brentford: Lee, Neilson, Osbourne, Legge, Woodman, Saunders, Bean, Diagouraga, Weston (Grabban 80), Macdonald (Simpson 73), Alexander. Substitutes not used: Moore, Balkestein, Tudur Jones, Byrne, Bignall. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell (Bakayogo 32), Labadie (Weir 73), Taylor, Welsh, Akins, Showunmi, Elford-Alliyu. Substitutes not used: Collister, Wood, Cathalina, McGurk, Robinson. Referee: Pat Miller Yellow cards: Labadie (44), Akins (63), Kay (85), Alexander (90+4) Away attendance: 220 Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports