Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 29 Mar 11 at 08:27 AM

Report: Oldham 0 Tranmere 0

Tranmere picked up a point in front of the Sky TV cameras with a goalless draw at Oldham. In a match of few decent chances Oldham had the better of the efforts on goal though neither keeper was seriously tested throughout. The result moved Les Parry's side to 43 points, three clear of the bottom four. Rovers were unchanged following the win over Colchester, with Andy Robinson recovering from a back injury to take his place just behind Enoch Showunmi. At the other end Robinson's powerful header from Lucas Akins' cross went straight into the arms of Dean Brill while Showunmi narrowly failed to capitalise on a weak header back to goal from Reuben Hazell. Robbie Weir drilled a shot over the bar from 25 yards after Oldham could only half clear a cross and the midfielder had the ball in the net on 13 minutes from 35 yards but the whistle had already blown for a foul on Jason Lowe. Dale Jennings tried a speculative effort from wide on the left on 16 minutes but his shot was sliced wide of the target while an Oldham corner went straight through the Rovers area soon after. Lowe was denied a debut goal for Oldham on 19 minutes by a fine one handed save from Warner after the midfielder shot from the edge of the area and Tranmere were forced to defend two corners in quick succession as a result. Showunmi out muscled Hazell on 21 minutes to win the ball inside the area but the striker was too far ahead of his team mates and his cross was gathered up by Brill. After a long spell of play in the middle of the pitch, Dean Furman shot just past Tranmere's right hand post from 25 yards and Chris Taylor miss hit an effort from a similar distance on 37 minutes. Joss Labadie replaced the injured Robinson on 38 minutes, moments before Lowe shot wide from Taylor's low ball across the Tranmere area. Taylor's far post shot forced Warner to turn behind as the game went into injury time but despite Oldham's pressure late in the half, the sides went into half time all square at 0-0. After another spell of Rovers pressure, a through ball from Furman put Oumare Tounkare one on one with Warner and the Rovers keeper did his job, saving low to his right to keep the score level. On 64 minutes Jennings cut inside two men but his goalbound effort struck the offside Showunmi and Rovers' attack came to an end. Weir headed over from Michael Kay's cross on 67 minutes, while Jennings, who had early stretched a hamstring, was replaced by Zoumana Bakayogo soon after. Ash Taylor came on for Lucas Akins on 78 minutes with the youngster slotting into the centre of defence and Mark McChrystal moving into the holding midfield role where he instantly began marking Chris Taylor. Rovers dealt with a dangerously positioned Oldham free kick on 84 minutes and though the home side pressured as the game drew to a close, Warner had little to do in the final minutes.   Oldham: Brill, Yves M'Voto, Hazell, Lowe, Furman, Taylor, Lee, Black (White 68), Morais, Evina, Tounkara (Brooke 85). Substitutes not used: Todd, Jones, Reid, Gerrard, Tarkowski. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell, Welsh, Weir, Robinson (Labadie 38), Akins (Taylor 78), Showunmi, Jennings (Bakayogo 73). Substitutes not used: Collister, Blanchard, McGurk, Mahon. Referee: Tony Bates Yellow cards: Labadie (60), Yves M'Voto (73), Goodison (90) Away attendance: 445 Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports