Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 05 Apr 11 at 21:36 PM

Report: Sheff Wed 4 Tranmere 0

A three goal blitz in 12 first half minutes sent Sheffield Wednesday on the way to a 4-0 win over Rovers at Hillsborough on Tuesday night. Tranmere conceded the first on 10 minutes and before the first period had reached the halfway point the game was effectively over. While Rovers had more possession as the game drew on, they failed to seriously test the Wednesday goalkeeper until the final few minutes of the match. And with the game in injury time, the hosts added a fourth to complete a miserable night for Les Parry's side. There were no changes made to the side that started three days earlier against Huddersfield with Andy Robinson still ruled out through injury and Ian Goodison suspended for the second of two games. Enoch Showunmi did well to break past Tommy Miller in the second minute but as he raced towards the Wednesday area his ball to Zoumana Bakayogo was over hit and went out for a goal kick. Dale Jennings smashed a shot straight through the six yard box on four minutes while Tony Warner easily held Neil Mellor's 25 yard effort at the other end soon after. On ten minutes the home side took the lead with a quick counter attack. After Rovers had failed with an attack inside the Wednesday area, the Owls raced into a three on two situation with Gary Teale's cross being headed back across goal by Neil Mellor and powered in by Tommy Miller. Four minutes later their advantage was doubled. Aaron Cresswell lost possession inside his own half allowing Mellor to slot the ball through for Gary Madine who sent his one on one effort low to Warner's right and inside the far post. Jermaine Johnson fired into Warner's side netting on 16 minutes while a Bakayogo header from Cresswell's corner was cleared at the other end. The start to the game got even worse on 21 minutes when Kay pulled down Mellor inside the area and referee Dean Whitestone pointed to the penalty spot. Wednesday captain Miller took the kick and sent Warner the wrong way for his second of the night to make the score 3-0. Welsh fired wide of goal from 25 yards on 27 minutes as he attempted to drag his team mates back into the game and Bakayogo headed Kay's high cross straight at Richard O'Donnell soon after. With a three goal lead Wednesday dropped a gear allowing Rovers to gain more territory, though it didn't bring any real chances. A change to the attacking line up saw Jennings replaced by Adam McGurk with seven minutes left of the half. Showunmi - who had earlier been off for treatment for a cut to the head - saw his shot deflect into the arms of O'Donnell after good play from Bakayogo on 44 minutes, the last chance of the half for either side. A Cresswell free kick deflected behind for a corner on 50 minutes and Taylor's shot from the resulting set piece was blocked on its way to goal. McGurk shot high over the bar on 63 minutes after Taylor's initial effort had been blocked, while another long range effort from Taylor was comfortably held by O'Donnell. With Wednesday's tempo dropping again Rovers spent longer spells in the opposition half and saw Labadie turn well only for his left foot shot to be blocked by a defender. The home team, though, had the ball in the net a fourth time on 71 minutes when Mellor tapped in at the far post but he was ruled offside by the assistant referee on the near side. Another 25 yard attempt from Labadie was blocked on the edge of the area on 76 minutes while Robbie Weir was replaced by Lucas Akins soon after. Lewis Buxton shot over Warner's bar on 79 minutes and the Rovers keeper parried Jermaine Johnson's 20 yard effort six minutes later. It was close to 3-1 on 87 minutes when Welsh played Kay in on the overlap and his low cross was flicked goalwards by McGurk only for O'Donnell to palm the ball clear of his line. Labadie fired a free kick over the bar as the game went into injury time and moments later it was 4-0 when Mellor rounded Warner and turned into the net from the tightest of angles. Sheff Wed: O'Donnell, Buxton, Miller (O'Brien 66), Bath, O'Connor, Teale (Sedgwick 66), Reda Johnson, Jermaine Johnson, Madine (Morrison 82), Mellor, Otsemobor. Substitutes not used: Nicholls, Coke, Jones, Potter. Tranmere: Warner, Kay, Taylor, McChrystal, Cresswell, Weir (Akins 77), Labadie, Welsh, Bakayogo, Jennings (McGurk 38), Showunmi. Substitutes not used: Collister, Wood, Blanchard, Fraughan, Mahon. Referee: Dean Whitestone Yellow cards: Reda Johnson (68), Welsh (74), Batth (89) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports