Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Sep 11 at 16:53 PM

Report: Tranmere 0 Yeovil 0

Tranmere continued their unbeaten home start to 2011-12 with a 0-0 draw against Yeovil Town in npower League 1. There was plenty of effort from Rovers but they failed to overly test the visiting keeper, Joss Labadie's shot from outside the area going closest to scoring. Defensively it was another decent display from Les Parry's side who restricted the Glovers to long range efforts and produced a couple of fine tackles when required. There were four changes to the team that started against Port Vale, with Dave Raven and David Buchanan returning to the full back roles in place of Michael Kay and Zoumana Bakayogo respectively, Ian Goodison coming in for the injured Mark McChrystal and Enoch Showunmi replacing Lucas Akins. Welsh released Showunmi into the Yeovil area on seven minutes but the striker miss hit his first shot and saw his second blocked by a defender. Yeovil's first effort on goal saw Gavin Williams test Owain Fon Williams with a 25 yard shot, the Rovers keeper comfortably claiming on his line. On ten minutes Mustafa Tiryaki almost diverted Robbie Weir's volley into the bottom left corner with his head but the ball fell a couple of yards wide of Jed Steer's goal. Martin Devaney dealt with the double marking of Yeovil on 12 minutes and sent over a fine cross for Tiryaki at the far post but his header landed on the roof of the net. Nathan Jones sent another long range effort over the bar for the visitors on 13 minutes while Ash Taylor's header was too high from an unmarked position from Devaney's corner. It proved to be Devaney's last action of the match as an injury forced him to be replaced by Bakayogo on the left side of the front three. After Tiryaki turned a Buchanan cross over the bar, Labadie was agonisingly close to opening the scoring on 18 minutes when he drilled a low shot just past the right hand post from 30 yards. Ian Goodison appeared to pick up a groin injury on the 20 minute mark but, typically ignoring the pain barrier, the Jamaican continued and dealt with a couple of Yeovil attacks with strong clearances. Labadie missed with his right foot shot from 20 yards on 28 minutes while a Yeovil free kick in a dangerous position 25 yards out was well blocked by Buchanan eight minutes later. On 37 minutes Edward Upson dragged a shot wide for the Glovers and at the other end both Goodison and Showunmi somehow failed to make contact with a Welsh corner that curled straight through the six yard box. Labadie scuffed a 20 yard shot with his left foot in the second minute of the second half after good work from Showunmi on the edge of the area. A long range Anthony Edgar effort took a deflection and almost wrong footed Fon Williams on 50 minutes, while Steer produced a strong one handed save to keep out a Showunmi header soon after, though the striker was also ruled offside. Tiryaki's pass to Welsh on the edge of the area just wouldn't run kindly for the Rovers captain on 59 minutes, with the ball getting caught under his feet which allowed Paul Huntington to clear. Labadie's curler couldn't quite turn enough to find the bottom left corner on 61 minutes while Fon Williams saved Edgar's low shot eight minutes later and needed Raven to clear Maclean's follow up effort. After Paul Wotton brought a comfortable save out of Fon Williams with a long range effort on 75 minutes, Lucas Akins came on for Showunmi for Rovers' second substitution of the match. Gavin Williams sent a powerful effort just past the Tranmere left hand post on 78 minutes while Buchanan broke well and sent in a good cross for Akins at the Kop end but the striker put his header wide. A superb demonstration of tracking back and last ditch tackling saw Raven deny Yeovil substitute Kieran Agard a one on one shot against Fon Williams after Taylor had missed his clearance on 86 minutes. A late foul on Welsh gave Rovers a shooting opportunity from a free kick on the edge of the area to the left hand side but Tiryaki's effort hit the wall. From the corner that followed Tiryaki's header had to be cleared off the line as Rovers had to be content with a point. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Raven, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Welsh, Weir, Labadie, Tiryaki, Showunmi (Akins 76), Devaney (Bakayogo 16). Substitutes not used: Coughlin, Kay, Power. Yeovil: Steer, Ayling, Jones, Huntington, Upson, MacLean, Williams, Edgar (Agard 80), Ehmer, O'Brien (Gilbert 90), Wotton. Substitutes not used: Blizzard, Bell-Baggie, Gibson. Referee: Jock Waugh Yellow cards: Ayling (48) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports