Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Sep 11 at 16:55 PM

Report: Huddersfield 2 Tranmere 0

A goal in each half gave Huddersfield a 2-0 win over Tranmere at the Galpharm Stadium. The strikes, both from Town substitutes, forced Rovers out of the top six in League 1 as they suffered only their second defeat of the season. Rovers battled well throughout but struggled to turn their possession into chances, with John Welsh and Zoumana Bakayogo going closest to scoring. There were three changes for Rovers, with Max Power replacing Joss Labadie in the centre of midfield for his full debut and Adam McGurk returning from injury to take the place of Martin Devaney while Lucas Akins came in for Mustafa Tiryaki. Ian Goodison recovered from the stomach injury he picked up against Yeovil to start at the back alongside Ash Taylor while Huddersfield were captained by former Rovers player Antony Kay. Rovers started brightly with Goodison joining in an attack and turning well after collecting the ball on the edge of the area and seeing his goalbound effort blocked before Akins fired wide from 25 yards. Huddersfield responded with a Tommy Miller shot that went over Owain Fon Williams' bar from outside the penalty area, but Rovers were soon back on the attack and saw Robbie Weir shoot wide from distance after good work from McGurk. McGurk sent a header over the bar from Welsh's corner in the 22nd minute but two minutes later the home side were ahead. Goodison headed a free kick away from goal but the ball fell straight to Gary Roberts who superbly volleyed into the top right corner past Fon Williams from a tight angle. It was a stunning effort from the Terriers substitute which the Rovers keeper had no chance of saving.  After Taylor had headed over the bar from a free kick for Rovers, Huddersfield almost went two goals up. It needed a diving goal line clearance from Goodison to keep out Kay's header from a corner, after the Rovers defender had earlier denied Alan Lee a one on one opportunity with Fon Williams with a last ditch challenge.  On 36 minutes Power did well to hold off two defenders on the left wing before his back heel set McGurk free, however, the cross that followed went over the Tranmere players in the Huddersfield area and out for a throw in. Taylor sent his header wide from an Akins long throw on 40 minutes, while it needed a fine one handed save from Fon Williams to keep out Jordan Rhodes' header three minutes later, the keeper palming over the bar after the Huddersfield striker rose above the Tranmere defence on the edge of the six yard box. Fon Williams started the second half as he finished the first, saving well down to his right to keep out Miller's effort from the edge of the area before watching Donal McDermott fire over from the corner that followed. Rovers had the ball in the Terriers' net on 60 minutes but McGurk's effort was ruled out for offside against Weir and soon after Mustafa Tiryaki replaced Showunmi in attack. Appeals for a foul on Akins and a penalty were turned down by referee Chris Sarginson on 64 minutes and soon after the ball was at the other end where Rhodes fired over the bar after being forced wide by Goodison. Rovers had the chance to level on 70 minutes when another long throw from Akins reached Goodison at the far post but the former Jamaica international blazed his shot over the bar and into the Tranmere fans in the Pink Link Stand. Tranmere captain John Welsh saw a powerful low drive from 25 yards well saved by Bennett on 72 minutes and the Huddersfield keeper was called on again a minute later, catching Power's left foot shot at his near post. Fon Williams dived low to his left to push a Roberts free kick away for a corner and watched as Lee headed over from Roberts' cross on 76 minutes. McGurk was replaced by Zoumana Bakayogo on 73 minutes and Labadie came on for Power soon after as Rovers made their final changes of the afternoon. Lee got in the way of a Novak effort on 80 minutes following a goalmouth scramble but the home side added their second on the counter attack on 82 minutes with Arfield coolly side footing in from the edge of the area following a cross from the left. A surging run from Akins on 87 minutes saw the striker find Bakayogo with a superb through ball but the substitute sent his first time shot wide of the left hand post from just inside the area. Two late free kicks saw both Tiryaki and Welsh fail to hit the target, the last chances of the match for Rovers.   Huddersfield: Bennett, Woods, Kay, McCombe, Hunt, Ward (Roberts 11), Miller, Robinson, McDermott, Lee, Rhodes (Novak 65). Substitutes not used: Colgan, Cooper, Arfield. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Raven, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Weir, Welsh, Power, Akins, Showunmi (Tiryaki 62), McGurk (Bakayogo 73). Substitutes not used: Coughlin, Kay, Labadie. Referee: Chris Sarginson Yellow cards: Roberts (21), Showunmi (41) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports