Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 at 21:36 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Carlisle 2

Lucas Akins second half strike wasn't enough for Rovers as their unbeaten start to the season at home came to an end with a 2-1 defeat against Carlisle United.

Tranmere conceded twice in the first half and despite a spirited fightback after half time, they were unable to find the all-important second goal.

There was one change to the team that started at Huddersfield as Joss Labadie returned to the starting line up in place of Max Power. Martin Devaney, Andy Robinson and Mark McChrystal were all again ruled out through injury.

The starting formation against Carlisle

On two minutes Lucas Akins picked out the overlapping run of Dave Raven and he just beat Matty Robson to the ball to cross into the six yard box from where Enoch Showunmi headed wide of Adam Collin's goal.

However, a minute later Rovers fell behind. A low cross came in from Liam Noble on Tranmere's right, it was flicked on by Rory Loy and Lee Miller poked in at the far post in front of Dave Buchanan.

On four minutes Tranmere had the chance to level. A through ball released Showunmi through on goal but after controlling the ball he was under pressure from a defender and saw his 18 yard shot pushed over the bar by the Carlisle keeper.

Akins saw a back post shot blocked for a corner on five minutes as Rovers continued to look for a quick equaliser and two minutes later the striker's through ball allowed Adam McGurk to swing a dangerous cross through the Carlisle area which Collin was only just able to turn out of the path of Robbie Weir at the far post.

The attacks kept coming, this time Carlisle racing clear on nine minutes and James Berrett firing over the bar from outside the area following a move started by Francois Zoko, while Rovers responded with McGurk forcing Collin into a save with a right foot shot after cutting in from the wing.

A left foot 25 yard drive from John Welsh went just a couple of yards of the right hand post on 14 minutes and McGurk fired over the bar from a corner following a flick on from Goodison three minutes later.

Goodison blocked a shot from Loy after Taylor's back pass to Owain Fon Williams was underhit while the Rovers keeper had to save Zoko's header from a free kick on 28 minutes.

Noble sent a powerful effort narrowly wide of the Tranmere goal on 32 minutes and soon after the visitors were awarded a penalty for a foul on Loy by Taylor. Berrett stepped up to take the kick and though Fon Williams dived the right way and got a hand to the ball, the shot was powerful enough to put Carlisle two goals up.

It was almost 3-0 on 37 minutes but Raven headed Murphy's header off the line from a corner and the shot that followed sliced narrowly wide of the far post.

Showunmi tried to claw a goal back for Rovers on 39 minutes but his near post header from Raven's cross went wide of the target, while Collin tipped another Raven cross out of the path of McGurk four minutes later.

A Showunmi header deflected just over the bar from a John Welsh corner on 45 minutes, with Akins heading over the top moments later from another set piece.

Six minutes into the second half Rovers reduced the deficit. A free kick from Welsh was only half cleared allowing Weir to smash a low shot goalwards. The effort was saved by the feet of Collin but the ball fell straight to Akins who turned his shot through a crowded area into the net for his first goal of the season.

After good work from Akins on the right wing on 61 minutes, the ball was played back to Raven whose cross slipped through the Carlisle defence, was chested by Weir and Showunmi acrobatically shot goalwards, with Collin alert enough to catch on his line.

Mustafa Tiryaki replaced Weir on 67 minutes as Rovers switched to 4-4-2 and the striker's clever first touch almost sent Akins clear but he couldn't prevent the ball from running out of play.

Labadie sent a free kick over the bar after being brought down on the edge of the area by Lubomir Michalik on 76 minutes and the midfielder shot narrowly past the target a minute later after receiving a lay off from Akins on the edge of the area.

It was turning into 20 yard shooting practice for Labadie with the former West Brom man forcing a save out of Collin on 77 minutes and seeing another effort turned away for a corner moments later.

Loy sent a shot across goal and wide after cutting inside from the right on 82 minutes and Noble fired wide as the visitors absorbed the Tranmere pressure and hit back on the counter attack.

Welsh brought a fine one handed save out of Collin with a 25 yard shot on 87 minutes after good play from Tiryaki but it proved to be the last chance of the game for Rovers.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Raven, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Welsh, Weir (Tiryaki 67), Labadie, Showunmi, McGurk. Substitutes not used: Coughlin, Kay, Bakayogo, Power.

Carlisle: Collin, Robson, Murphy, Loy, Thirlwell, Zoko, Miller, Noble, Berrett, Tavierner, Michalik. Substitutes not used: McGovern, Livesey, Welsh, Taiwo, Curran.

Referee: Scott Mathieson

Yellow cards: Tavernier (30), Thirlwell (61), Labadie (90), Welsh (90+3)

Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports