Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Oct 11 at 20:33 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Oldham 0

Tranmere claimed their first home win over Oldham since 2006-07 in a closely fought npower League 1 contest. A first half shot from Jose Baxter took a touch off Enoch Showunmi to beat the Oldham keeper, while Rovers' seventh league clean sheet ensured the goal was enough for the win. There were four changes to the team that started at Accrington Stanley three days earlier as Robbie Weir replaced the suspended Joss Labadie and Dave Raven, Adam McGurk and Enoch Showunmi returned in place of Michael Kay (who dropped out of the squad altogether), Zoumana Bakayogo and Mustafa Tiryaki respectively.   Raven sent a third minute shot high over the bar from outside the right side of the area but it was the only real attacking action of the first ten minutes as the teams battled in the middle of the pitch. Rovers gradually began to take control and took the lead on 19 minutes. John Welsh found Lucas Akins on the right wing and he cut inside and squared the ball to Jose Baxter whose shot took a touch on its way in, possibly off Enoch Showunmi. Ash Taylor looped a header over Alex Cisak from a David Buchanan free kick on 24 minutes, but his effort went away from goal and, eventually, Oldham cleared. Showunmi headed over his own bar on 28 minutes and from the corner that followed Oldham's Shefki Kuqi picked up a booking after complaining about a handball decision that went against him. John Welsh volleyed narrowly past the right hand post on 32 minutes after Oldham only cleared a throw in as far as the edge of their area, while at the other end Robbie Simpson escaped up the left only to send his cross over the head of Kuqi at the far post.   Tom Adeyemi turned well inside the Tranmere area on 42 minutes but as he shaped to shoot from 12 yards, both Taylor and Ian Goodison threw their bodies in the way of the ball to prevent Owain Fon Williams from being called into action and the visitors went close again a minute later when Kuqi ran with the ball in the Rovers half before shooting just over the top left corner from 25 yards. As the game went into first half injury time, Fon Williams pulled off a fine save to prevent Simpson's cross from reaching Kuqi at the far post and Rovers took their lead into the break. After being fouled in the first minute of the second half, McGurk picked himself up to send a free kick into the arms of Cisak from a central position 25 yards out. The striker was in the thick of the action two minutes later when, after Akins crossed from the right, he headed over Cisak at the back post only to see his effort hit the top of the bar and bounce away from goal. And, after clearing the danger in his own area on 49 minutes, McGurk was back in the Oldham half soon after, curling over the far corner of the goal from a tight angle. A wonderful through ball from Baxter allowed Showunmi to race past Nathan Clarke and Jean Yves M'Voto on 56 minutes but the striker's left foot shot was straight at Cisak and Rovers remained just the one goal ahead. After Baxter sent a powerful volley narrowly wide of the target on 62 minutes, the visitors went close to equalising. Goodison couldn't get enough on a long ball from the Oldham defence allowing Kuqi to intercept his back header. However, Taylor was quick to race back and put pressure on the Finnish striker who eventually saw his low effort comfortably saved by Fon Williams. Weir forced Cisak to tip around his left hand post after running on to another clever pass from Baxter on 66 minutes, while Kuqi sent two long range efforts wide of the target for Oldham. McGurk couldn't get high enough to do anything with an Akins cross on 74 minutes and a Baxter shot was deflected over the bar as Rovers looked for a second goal. Taylor did well to block a Kuqi effort at the far post on 82 minutes while Welsh's deflected cross had to be tipped over the bar by Cisak at the other end. Matty Smith headed straight at Fon Williams from just inside the Rovers area on 88 minutes and a fine tackle from Taylor prevented the striker from a clean run on goal from the halfway line soon after. Kieran Lee fired across goal and narrowly wide as the game went into injury time but it was the last effort for the visitors who went away empty handed. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Raven, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Akins, Weir, Welsh, McGurk (Power 90+5), Baxter, Showunmi (Tiryaki 90+3). Unused substitutes: Coughlin, Holmes, Bakayogo. Oldham: Cisak, M'Voto, Wesolowski, Clarke, Morais, Simpson (Smith 70), Adeyemi (Furman 62), Taylor, Lee, Mellor, Kuqi. Unused substitutes: Black, Tarkowski, Gerrard. Referee: Craig Pawson Yellow cards: Kuqi (30), Weir (72), Power (90+6) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports