Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Nov 11 at 16:51 PM

Report: Tranmere 0 Colchester 0

Tranmere picked up their ninth league clean sheet of the season but were unable to find a way past Colchester keeper Ben Williams at the other end as they drew 0-0 at Prenton Park.

Rovers had the majority of the game's chances, going closest through Adam McGurk, Andy Robinson and Ash Taylor while Owain Fon Williams and his defence limited the visitors' opportunities at the opposite end.

There was just one change to the team that started against Scunthorpe, with the suspended Jose Baxter replaced by Andy Robinson while Enoch Showunmi recovered from injury to be named on the substitutes' bench.

The starting formation against Colchester

An early Robbie Weir volley went wide of the target following a long throw in from Lucas Akins but Rovers were soon forced back into their own half as Colchester took control of possession.

After a five minute spell of dominance from the visitors, Tranmere came back into the match. A Robinson free kick was slightly too high for Akins to make decent contact at the back post on seven minutes while Adam McGurk switched flanks briefly on 11 minutes, beat Ben Coker and cut into the area only to put his left foot shot across goal and wide.

Weir tracked back well to win possession midway inside the Colchester half on 13 minutes and his lay off allowed McGurk to test U's keeper Ben Williams with a dipping shot from 25 yards.

Williams was called on again a minute later as Akins cut in from the right and sent a curling effort into the keeper's arms at his near post, while John Welsh fired over the bar on 19 minutes.

Ash Taylor headed into the ground and over the bar from close range from a superb Robinson cross on 27 minutes. The defender injured his arm in the process though he was able to continue.

Welsh volleyed over on 32 minutes after Mustafa Tiryaki and McGurk combined to push David Buchanan's long ball into his path.

McGurk curled a shot straight at Williams after running on to a flick on from Tiryaki on 43 minutes while Colchester's Anthony Wordsworth brought a save out of Owain Fon Williams at the other end soon after with a well struck effort from outside the area.

The first chance of the second half saw Tiryaki and Akins combine deep on the right before the latter's cross was headed over by McGurk from six yards out.

Welsh sliced a volley high and wide on 56 minutes after McGurk's cross was only cleared as far as the Rovers captain 25 yards out, while Taylor cleared the danger at the other end as Michail Antonio started an attack down the right.

Robinson fired over the bar after appeals for handball against Matt Heath and a Tranmere penalty were turned down twenty minutes into the second half, and Akins raced half the length of the pitch before his left foot curler was well saved by Williams.

A drive from Robinson was blocked on its way to goal on 72 minutes while Antonio's attempt at chipping Fon Williams rolled along the ground and straight to the Rovers keeper soon after.

Robinson superbly controlled Taylor's cross field ball with his chest on 77 minutes but his next touch took the ball slightly too far away and his left foot shot ran across goal and out for a throw in.

Further penalty appeals were rejected when Welsh went down as he challenged for a deflected Dave Raven cross and another surging run from Akins ended with the striker shooting straight at Williams.

Fon Williams turned a low shot from Antonio around his near post on 80 minutes and Buchanan cleared Okuonghae's header off the line from the resulting corner as the U's aimed to sneak a winner.

A 25 yard curler from McGurk was tipped just past the top left corner by Williams on 83 minutes and he was denied by the U's keeper two minutes later with a superb close range save as the striker turned the ball goalwards from six yards out.

Robinson and McGurk combined from a corner on 90 minutes, with the former bringing another fine save out of Williams with a fierce angled drive.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Raven, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Akins, Welsh, Weir, McGurk, Robinson, Tiryaki. Unused substitutes: Coughlin, Holmes, Bakayogo, Labadie, Showunmi.

Colchester: Williams, Okuonghae, Heath, Vincent (Izzet 87), Antonio, Bond, Odejayi, Henderson, Wilson, Wordsworth, Coker. Unused substitutes: Thomas, James, White, Duguid.

Referee: Graham Salisbury

Yellow cards: Okuonghae (22)

Follow Tranmere on Twitter at


    Latest Match Reports