Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Jan 12 at 16:50 PM

Report: Tranmere 2 Brentford 2

Martin Devaney and Danny Holmes scored their first goals for the Club as Tranmere drew 2-2 at home to Brentford. Devaney, making his first start since September, gave Rovers an early lead but Brentford netted twice in nine minutes through Gary Alexander and Clayton Donaldson to hold the lead at half time. However, a cross from Holmes was diverted into his own goal by Harlee Dean ten minutes into the second half to give Rovers a share of the points. There were two changes to the team that started at Sheffield Wednesday as Martin Devaney returned from illness to take the place of Adam McGurk on the left wing and John Welsh replaced Robbie Weir in the centre of midfield. Andy Robinson recovered from illness to be named on the substitutes' bench where he was joined by Ian Goodison. Mustafa Tiryaki forced Brentford keeper Richard Lee into a save inside the first minute, chesting down a free kick from Jose Baxter before firing towards the bottom right corner on the turn from ten yards out. Three minutes later Rovers took the lead. Baxter picked up possession on the right of the Brentford half, twisted inside the area and floated a cross towards the back post where Devaney volleyed in for his first goal for the Club. Paul Rachubka maintained the advantage with a fine diving save to keep out Gary Alexander's header on six minutes, while Mark McChrystal timed his challenge well to deny Clayton Donaldson a shot on goal soon after. Devaney curled just past the top right corner from 25 yards on 11 minutes and Baxter and Tiryaki combined well four minutes later with the latter being released with a superb through ball only for his curled effort to go straight into the arms of Lee. Bakayogo and McChrystal blocked shots from Sam Saunders on 18 minutes as Brentford pressed, while Tiryaki brought another save out of Lee at the other end with a powerfully struck effort from 30 yards. The visitors levelled on 22 minutes. Donaldson crossed from the right, Rovers failed to clear and Alexander's shot on the turn beat Rachubka, with the hint of a deflection off a defender. Ten minutes later Uwe Rosler's side went ahead. Donaldson beat McChrystal to flick on a long ball forward from Craig Woodman, continued his run forward to meet a lay off from Alexander and superbly curled a first time shot into the top right corner from 25 yards. Baxter fired high and wide from just left of centre 25 yards out on 35 minutes but it proved to be the last chance of the half, which ended not long after Weir replaced the injured Joss Labadie in midfield. Brentford almost stunned Tranmere within ten seconds of the second half, Donaldson racing through the Rovers half and bringing a save out of Rachubka with Ash Taylor eventually clearing. It should have been 2-2 on 48 minutes. A through ball from Welsh released Bakayogo into the area but the full back sent a cross straight through the six yard box when there were better options near the penalty spot. Tiryaki failed to make the most of a well weighted pass from Baxter on 50 minutes but Rovers levelled on 55 minutes. Baxter played the ball out wide on the right to Danny Holmes and his dipping cross towards the near post was turned into his own goal by Harlee Dean, leaving Lee with no chance of a save. Rachubka pulled off a good save with his legs to deny Donaldson his second of the game on 57 minutes while Holmes made a trio of well-timed interceptions to end Brentford attacks as the game opened up. Ian Goodison replaced Holmes on 67 minutes with the young defender having treatment on his leg after leaving the pitch. The change meant a switch to right back for Taylor. Adam McGurk came on for Devaney with just under 15 minutes remaining though he had barely been on the pitch when an Alexander cross somehow went beyond the outstretched leg of Donaldson just yards from the Rovers goal. Brentford were denied a third on 81 minutes when Dean's back post volley from a corner struck the chest of Baxter on the line and was cleared by Akins. Taylor blocked an 18 yard shot from Toumani Diagouraga on 84 minutes as Brentford threw men forward in search of the winner but it was the last chance of the game as the two sides had to settle for a point. Tranmere: Rachubka, Holmes (Goodison 67), Taylor, McChrystal, Bakayogo, Akins, Welsh, Labadie (Weir 44), Devaney (McGurk 76), Baxter, Tiryaki. Unused substitutes: Coughlin, Robinson. Brentford: Lee, Woodman, Bean, Saunders (McGinn 76), Douglas, Donaldson, Forrester (Diagouraga 67), Bennett, Dean, Alexander, Legge. Unused substitutes: Eger, Grella, Moore. Referee: Dean Mohareb Yellow cards: Follow Tranmere on Twitter at  

    Latest Match Reports