Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Jan 12 at 21:34 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Huddersfield 1

Tranmere came from behind to hold second placed Huddersfield Town to a 1-1 draw at Prenton Park. Adam McGurk struck a minute after the Terriers had taken the lead to give Rovers a point, which was the least they deserved. Les Parry's side created the lion's share of the chances on goal, going close through Elford-Alliyu, Brunt, Tiryaki and Akins and kept their prolific opponents relatively quiet all match. There were two changes to the team that started at Bournemouth as Adam McGurk returned from injury to take the place of Robbie Weir and Lucas Akins came in for Lateef Elford-Alliyu. New loan signing Ryan Brunt was named on the substitutes' bench while there was no place in the Huddersfield squad for former Tranmere player Antony Kay. Rovers captain John Welsh sent the first shot of the game over the bar, firing high over Ian Bennett's goal from 25 yards with his right foot. Tranmere spent much of the early stages in the Huddersfield half, forcing the automatic promotion chasers on to the back foot, though they were unable to carve out an opening in the first ten minutes. They were inches from taking the lead on 13 minutes when Tiryaki turned on to a pass from Welsh and put his shot under the advancing Bennett from 12 yards but just past the right hand post.
Again Rovers nearly created the game's first goal on 21 minutes. James Wallace, making his first home start since joining on loan from Everton, broke with the ball and though his pass was cut out by a defender, Tiryaki reacted fastest to win back possession. The striker picked out Martin Devaney on the edge of the area and his volley went narrowly beyond the upright. The shots kept coming Tranmere's way, with Wallace bringing a comfortable save out of Bennett and Tiryaki firing over the bar from 25 yards after turning his marker. Tiryaki powered a 30 yard free kick over the bar on 31 minutes following a foul by Jamie McCombe while Akins put a low shot just inches past the left hand post from a Devaney cross eight minutes later. Huddersfield's Sean Morrison headed wide from a corner in the second minute of the second half and a couple of minutes later the visitors took the lead. A long ball forward was played back across goal by Danny Cadamarteri and Jordan Rhodes continued his superb scoring run by stroking home across Paul Rachubka and into the far right side of the net. However, the lead didn't last long. A stunning right wing cross from Devaney saw the ball perfectly met by Adam McGurk at the far post with the striker heading down and into the net past Bennett. A fine through ball from Wallace gave Tiryaki a shooting opportunity on 57 minutes and his effort had to be blocked by a defender. A looped ball from Wallace almost crept in at the far post on 59 minutes while Akins failed to connect with Tiryaki's low cross soon after as Rovers looked to take the lead. Appeals for a foul by Cadamerteri on Akins on the edge of the area were ignored by referee Trevor Kettle on 64 minutes and Devaney was unable to take advantage with his shot from the free ball going straight at Bennett from the edge of the area. Devaney combined step overs with flicks before finding Welsh on the edge of the area on 70 minutes. He played it forward to Akins who flicked on to Devaney, however, the winger was unable to put the finishing touches on what would have been a superb goal, with his effort going well wide of the target. McGurk's game was brought to a premature end through injury on 74 minutes with the former Aston Villa trainee replaced by Lateef Elford-Alliyu. Rovers fans had their heads in their hands on 78 minutes when Wallace collected the ball following excellent work from Devaney and the midfielder saw his 25 yard effort spilled by Bennett, with the ball rolling agonisingly past the right hand post and behind for a corner. Akins had a difficult chance on 79 minutes when he pulled down a high ball but he could only put his angled shot into the side netting. Ryan Brunt made his Tranmere debut on 85 minutes as a replacement for Devaney and the youngster played a big role in Rovers' next chance which saw Elford-Alliyu round the keeper only for Tom Clarke to brilliantly clear off the line. Rovers piled forward and moments later Brunt saw his shot somehow saved on the line by Bennett, while Tiryaki fired wide on 89 minutes, the final chance of the game. Tranmere: Rachubka, Holmes, Goodison, McChrystal, Buchanan, Akins, Welsh, Wallace, McGurk (Elford-Alliyu 74), Devaney (Brunt 85), Tiryaki. Unused substitutes: Coughlin, Taylor, Weir. Huddersfield: Bennett, Hunt, McCombe, Morrison, Naysmith, Ward (Clarke 50), Gobern, Johnson, Cadamarteri, Novak (Lee 63 (Robinson 80)), Rhodes. Unused substitutes: Smithies, Miller. Referee: Trevor Kettle Yellow cards: Gobern (62), McCombe (79) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at  

    Latest Match Reports