Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Feb 12 at 16:55 PM

Report: Wycombe 2 Tranmere 1

Tranmere let an early lead slip as they lost 2-1 at Wycombe Wanderers. In bitterly cold conditions Adam McGurk put Tranmere ahead on five minutes with a fine long range strike but the home side scored twice before half time through Matty Whichelow and Gareth Ainsworth. Rovers piled on the pressure in the second half, hit the bar twice, had two shots cleared off the line and an effort ruled out for offside, but they were unable to find the all-important second goal. There was just one change to the team that started the previous game against Huddersfield as Owain Fon Williams returned from more than two months out injured to take the place of Paul Rachubka in goal, with Rachubka's loan from Leeds having ended. Rovers took an early lead with the first shot of the game. The ball fell to Adam McGurk - in the starting line-up after recovering from the ankle injury he picked up against Huddersfield - and he controlled and beat a defender before sending a dipping shot past Nikki Bull and into the Wycombe net from 25 yards. It was the striker's fifth goal of the season and gave Les Parry's side the start they had wanted. The visitors kept up the pressure with Mustafa Tiryaki winning a corner, though Wycombe came back into the match and won a set piece of their own. Gareth Ainsworth headed over from Stuart Beavon's cross on 20 minutes and James Harper fired well wide of the target from 30 yards soon after. Wycombe's pressure paid off on 23 minutes. The ball was played into the area from the right wing by Ainsworth and debutant Matty Whichelow got in between the defenders and sent his header past Fon Williams and into the net. McGurk hit the side netting with a free kick from outside the right side of the Wycombe area on 27 minutes but four minutes later the home side took the lead. Fon Williams did well to save David Buchanan's header which went towards his own goal but Rovers couldn't clear the rebound and after Matt Bloomfield's shot was blocked the ball eventually fell to Ainsworth who fired into the net from close range. Wycombe almost made it three when Beavon sent a long range shot narrowly over the bar and soon after the striker saw another effort deflect off Mark McChrystal for a corner. The start of the second half brought the first substitution of the game, with Robbie Weir replacing Martin Devaney for Rovers. Bloomfield curled a free kick wide of the target on 53 minutes while Weir missed from the edge of the area two minutes later following good work from Lucas Akins. Rovers almost levelled on 62 minutes when Mustafa Tiryaki ran at the Wycombe defence and sent a curling shot past Bull only for the ball to cannon off the cross bar and away from goal. It was the last action for the former Havant & Waterlooville striker, with Ryan Brunt coming on in his place for the final half hour. Tranmere went close again on 66 minutes, with Ian Goodison seeing two close range efforts blocked and the referee's assistant deeming that neither had crossed the line. A header from Brunt from a Buchanan cross went straight to Bull on 68 minutes and the Stoke City loanee was joined up front by Lateef Elford-Alliyu soon after, with James Wallace being taken off. Rovers hit the woodwork for a second time on 72 minutes when John Welsh curled a free kick against the cross bar and the captain saw a long range effort deflect away from the target soon after. Brunt's shot was blocked by a defender on 74 minutes and the striker's looped header went wide of the target ten minutes later. At the other end Wycombe's Beavon headed narrowly wide of Fon Williams' goal, while Rovers responded with a shot from Elford-Alliyu that was well held by Bull two minutes from time. After Fon Williams made two great saves to deny Beavon, Rovers had the ball in the Wycombe net only for it to be ruled out for offside. Elford-Alliyu was adjudged to be too advanced when he turned in Brunt's shot following Fon Williams' long free kick. It proved to be the final chance of the game as Tranmere went home empty handed and suffered a seventh successive away defeat. Wycombe: Bull, Laing, Basey, Winfield, Johnson, Ainsworth (McNamee 69), Bloomfield, Harper, Strevens, Whichelow (Lewis 80), Beavon. Unused substitutes: Foster, Grant, McClure. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Goodison, McChrystal, Buchanan, Akins, Wallace (Elford-Alliyu 69), Welsh, McGurk, Devaney (Weir 45 HT), Tiryaki (Brunt 63). Unused substitutes: Coughlin, Taylor. Referee: David Coote Yellow cards: Leon Johnson (71) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at  

    Latest Match Reports