Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Feb 12 at 21:49 PM

Report: Carlisle 0 Tranmere 0

Tranmere ended their run of away defeats with a goalless draw at Carlisle.

Rovers had the better of the game's chances, going closest through Ryan Brunt early in the first half, while the defence dealt well with everything thrown at them by the hosts.

Rovers made three changes to the team that started the last game at Wycombe. Ryan Brunt replaced Mustafa Tiryaki in attack, Ash Taylor joined the defence in place of Mark McChrystal and Robbie Weir came in for Lucas Akins. With Lateef Elford-Alliyu's loan from West Brom having come to an end, his place on the substitutes' bench went to Joss Labadie.

The starting formation against Carlisle

Brunt almost capitalised on a poor back pass from Ben Parker in the second minute but Carlisle keeper Adam Collin was alert enough to get there before the on-loan striker.

The youngster was close to opening the scoring moments later, heading across goal after Adam McGurk redirected Martin Devaney's cross back into his path, only for Collin to somehow keep the ball from going over the line before Peter Murphy cleared.

Another cross from Devaney caused a moment of danger in the Carlisle area on 10 minutes, with McGurk, David Buchanan and James Wallace combining to win a corner.

Ian Goodison ended Carlisle attacks through Francois Zoko and Jon-Paul McGovern before James Berrett shot high and wide of the Rovers goal from outside the area.

Weir's long range attempt was comfortably saved by Collin on 21 minutes while McGurk ran on to a flick on from Brunt before seeing his angled shot being kept out by the legs of the goalkeeper a minute later.

Collin did well to claim Weir's dangerous cross under pressure from Brunt and McGurk on 24 minutes and a chipped effort from Brunt went wide of the target seven minutes later.

Brunt couldn't bring down a high ball in the Carlisle area on 38 minutes which allowed the home side to clear and Rovers kept up their pressure with Devaney beating Parker before firing wide of the target from 25 yards.

McGurk sent a free kick over the bar following a foul on Brunt, the final chance of the half for either side.

An early Devaney run came to an end after 40 yards and a fine challenge from Frank Simek and after surviving a couple of Carlisle corners, Rovers broke quickly through Wallace before Brunt headed a McGurk cross over the bar.

Weir sent a shot well wide of the target on 52 minutes and McGurk fired narrowly past the far post after Wallace won possession on the halfway line.

Carlisle were inches from taking the lead on 56 minutes when Zoko headed just wide the post from the penalty spot but it was one of few worrying moments in the first hour for the Rovers defence.

Rovers' first change saw Brunt replaced by Tiryaki after 69 minutes, moments before Murphy headed wide from a Carlisle free kick.

An injury to Ian Goodison meant the veteran defender was replaced by McChrystal on 73 minutes.

Rovers coped with a tricky Carlisle free kick and a man disadvantage while Danny Holmes was off the pitch for treatment on 85 minutes, breaking on the counter attack through Devaney whose pass to Wallace led to the on loan Everton midfielder shooting into the side netting.

Owain Fon Williams produced his first real save of the match and kept his side in contention for at least a point with a stunning stop from Madden's header as the game went into the final minute of normal time.

The save proved to be crucial as Rovers held on through four minutes of added time for a draw.

Carlisle: Collin, Simek, Michalik, Murphy, Parker, Thirlwell, Berrett (Noble 61), Taiwo (Madden 45 HT), McGovern, Cook (Welsh 61), Zoko. Unused substitutes: Gillespie, Livesey.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison (McChrystal 73), Buchanan, Weir, Welsh, Wallace, Devaney, Brunt (Tiryaki 69), McGurk (Akins 86). Unused substitutes: Coughlin, McChrystal, Labadie, Akins.

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Yellow cards: Simek (54), Weir (64), Wallace (89), Zoko (90)

Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports