Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Feb 12 at 16:55 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Charlton 1

Tranmere continued their remarkable of series of 1-1 draws against Charlton Athletic, taking the run to five successive games. Ryan Brunt's first goal for the Club gave Rovers a deserved lead at the half time but the league leaders drew level just after the hour mark. It was a fairly even match at Prenton Park with both keepers pulling off important saves, Rovers going closest through Robbie Weir and Adam McGurk. Les Parry opted for an unchanged side following the 0-0 draw at Carlisle, with Ryan Brunt making his first start at Prenton Park and Owain Fon Williams making his first home appearance since returning from injury.   The first chance of the game came on five minutes with Robbie Weir dispossessing Dale Stephens outside the Charlton area and James Wallace picking up possession before curling a shot straight at Ben Hamer from 18 yards. After dominating the early possession, Charlton's first attempt came on ten minutes with John Welsh's clearance being played back into the area from where Stephens flashed a volley high over Owain Fon Williams' goal. Adam McGurk's left wing cross was headed over the bar by Weir on 11 minutes, with the midfielder having to arch his back to make contact as the ball swerved in the wind. Ryan Brunt was denied the opening goal of the game on 16 minutes, when his header from Wallace's cross was kept superbly out at the bottom left corner by Hamer. The follow up from the on loan Stoke striker was also blocked by the keeper though he was ruled offside by the assistant referee. A tricky Devaney cross had to be turned behind for a corner by Chris Solly on 21 minutes, with Charlton quickly breaking from the set piece and Danny Holmes doing well to block Danny Haynes' shot. David Buchanan and Welsh combined well to release McGurk on the left wing on 24 minutes, with his cross just falling behind Brunt and Weir's stretched follow up looping high over the bar. Fon Williams was called into action on 30 minutes, saving low in the middle of his goal from Yann Kermorgant after opting to kick clear from his area rather than use his hands. Rovers took the lead on 33 minutes. After Goodison had won the ball inside the Rovers area, James Wallace raced half the length of the pitch before laying off to Devaney. He skipped past the challenge of Michael Morrison and saw his low shot blocked. However, he reacted fastest to the loose ball, controlled and looped an overhead kick cross back into the area which went over the head of a defender and straight to Brunt whose touch diverted it into the bottom left corner. Tranmere won possession in fortunate circumstances on 42 minutes when Stephens' cross field pass hit the referee midway inside the home side's half and deflected straight to Weir. He released McGurk into the left channel but after running towards the edge of the Charlton area his left foot shot sliced high and wide of the target. Hamer had to react quickly to keep his side only one goal down on the stroke of half time when Morrison's clearance went straight to Devaney and he fired goalwards from 25 yards, and a minute later the Rovers winger should have had a chance at a one on one with the Charlton keeper but McGurk's through ball was ever so slightly overhit. Haynes' cross went straight through the six yard box on 51 minutes as Charlton applied pressure early in the second half and from the corner that followed Fon Williams pulled off a fine reaction save to keep out Hollands' close range header. Haynes was denied on 54 minutes when Fon Williams turned the ball around the post as the striker tried to go around him and Rovers eventually cleared the danger. Wallace evaded two challenges and played a one two with Weir before curling wide of the right hand post from 30 yards on 58 minutes but three minutes later the visitors were level. A corner from the right reached Morrison at the far post and his header went off the bar and was ruled to have crossed the line by the match officials before Fon Williams palmed the ball away. An inswinging free kick from McGurk was tipped on to the bar and away from goal by Hamer on 65 minutes while Goodison's attempt at playing a one two with Brunt and breaking through on goal didn't come off as Rovers looked to regain the lead. Hamer was quicker to react than his defenders to a swiftly taken free kick from Welsh on 72 minutes, with the keeper closing down Wallace and blocking the angled shot with his legs. McGurk wasted a chance on 74 minutes, with the striker picking up Devaney's cross in a dangerous position inside the area only to lose possession, while Holland's acrobatic volley deflected off Taylor and away for a corner at the other end and the Charlton midfielder kneed the ball over the bar moments later from an unmarked position. A stinging 25-yard shot from Weir forced Hamer to dive to his right and palm the ball away and McGurk brought a save out of the keeper from a similar position on 82 minutes. A fine block and clearance from Taylor kept Charlton substitute Bradley Wright-Phillips away from goal on 84 minutes, while Rovers introduced Lucas Akins in place of McGurk moments later. After Kermorgant volleyed wide at the far post on 85 minutes, Mustafa Tiryaki replaced Brunt as the spearhead of the Tranmere attack. Wright-Phillips headed over the bar from a Charlton corner as the game went into four minutes of additional time and Kermorgant repeated the feat moments later for the visitors.   Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Welsh, Weir, Wallace, Devaney, Brunt (Tiryaki 85), McGurk (Akins 84). Unused substitutes: Coughlin, McChrystal, Labadie. Charlton: Hamer, Morrison, Taylor, Green, Stephens, Haynes (Wright-Phillips 60), Wiggins, Pritchard, Solly, Hollands, Kermorgant. Unused substitutes: Wagstaff, Sullivan, Cort, Clarke. Referee: Andy Haines Yellow cards: Kermorgant (79), Fon Williams (87) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at  

    Latest Match Reports