Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 25 Feb 12 at 16:53 PM

Report: Oldham 1 Tranmere 0

An early second half penalty was enough to give Oldham a 1-0 win over Tranmere at Boundary Park. Rovers' best chances came in the first half with John Welsh and James Wallace going closest to scoring, while Andy Robinson almost snatched an equaliser late on.   Tranmere's starting line-up was unchanged but there were two alterations to the substitutes' bench from the Charlton game as both Andy Robinson and Enoch Showunmi returned from injury to take the places of Lucas Akins and Mustafa Tiryaki. Ryan Brunt brought a save out of Alex Cisak with a 25 yard drive after running on to Adam McGurk's flick on three minutes, while a shot from Filipe Morais at the other end from a similar distance struck the back of James Wallace and deflected away from goal. A block from Ian Goodison kept out Jean Yves M'Voto's low strike following the Latics' third corner of the game on ten minutes and soon after Chris Taylor put an angled shot wide of the near post as the home side enjoyed the better of the opening stages. After Ash Taylor was booked for a foul on Chris Taylor 30 yards in front of goal, Robbie Simpson sent a free kick straight into the arms of Owain Fon Williams, while James Tarkowski ran forward from right back and fired just past the top right corner moments later. Rovers should have done better on 22 minutes with their first spell deep on the Oldham half. A cross from Martin Devaney was cut out by M'Voto but the ball fell straight to Brunt. With Wallace racing into the area a lay off and shot looked likely to bring a decent result but the pass was off course and Oldham were able to clear. Brunt held off the challenge of Tarkowski on 34 minutes to win a high ball inside the Oldham area but his left foot shot on the turn was comfortably saved by Cisak. A great one handed save from Cisak kept out John Welsh's header from the third Adam McGurk corner in succession on 41 minutes and from the corner that followed James Wallace had a close range shot cleared off the line. The home side were awarded a penalty three minutes into the second half when Robbie Simpson went down under a challenge from Welsh just inside the area, despite the Latics striker appearing to have controlled the ball with his arm moments earlier. Shefki Kuqi took the spot kick and though Fon Williams dived the right direction, the shot went straight into the top right corner to give Oldham the lead. Simpson should have made it 2-0 on 54 minutes but his close range shot was dragged wide of the target after good work from Kieran Lee. A well-directed cross from Holmes had to be cleared from the path of Brunt on 57 minutes and it was the striker's last real involvement as he was replaced by Andy Robinson, while Enoch Showunmi came on for Wallace. M'Voto headed wide from a Chris Taylor free kick on 67 minutes and six minutes later Rovers made their final change as Joss Labadie replaced Weir in midfield. Welsh sent a long range effort wide of the left hand post on 76 minutes, while a Morais free kick deflected on to the post and away at the other end seven minutes later. A Robinson shot deflected away from the bottom left corner on 85 minutes after the former Swansea player turned inside the area having received Holmes' low cross. A dangerous cross from Robinson wasn't attacked b y any of his team mates in injury time, the final opportunity of the game for Rovers. Oldham: Cisak, M'Voto, Morais (Marsh-Brown 86), Simpson, Adeyemi, Tarkowski, Taylor, Lee, Winchester, Mellor, Kuqi. Unused substitutes: Diamond, Reid, Smith, Bouzanis. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Welsh, Weir (Labadie 73), Wallace (Showunmi 65), Devaney, Brunt (Robinson 65), McGurk. Unused substitutes: Coughlin, McChrystal. Referee: Darren Sheldrake Yellow cards: Ash Taylor (14), Welsh (78) Away attendance: 582 Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports