Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Mar 12 at 16:53 PM

Report: Tranmere 2 Leyton Orient 0

Tranmere celebrated 100 years at Prenton Park with a 2-0 win over Leyton Orient. The victory was Rovers' first in 2012 and took Ronnie Moore's points tally as Manager to four in two games. The goals, which came from Andy Robinson and Enoch Showunmi in the first half, eased the Club to four points above the bottom four. There was one change to the Rovers team from Tuesday night's draw against Notts County as Enoch Showunmi replaced Robbie Weir, a change that saw Lucas Akins move to the right wing. Former Rovers defender Ben Chorley started for Orient and he was joined in the visitors' team by Paul Rachubka who had spent two months on loan at Prenton Park earlier in the season. James Wallace was the first player on either team to try his luck on goal, with the Everton loanee bringing a save out of Rachubka from 20 yards. Rovers continued to start the brighter of the two teams, with Robinson turning Brunt's flick on towards goal only for Orient to clear. On six minutes Robinson got the wrong side of his marker and free inside the area, but after it looked like he had been pushed in the back appeals for a penalty were ignored by the referee. Orient's first attempt on goal saw David Mooney direct his header from Jamal Campbell-Ryce's cross towards the far corner but Ian Goodison was on hand to chest the ball down on the line and clear the danger. A free kick for a foul on Robinson 25 yards out led to the former Swansea player's shot deflecting off the wall and behind for a corner, and soon after a long range attempt from captain John Welsh took a touch off a defender and went narrowly wide of the target. Orient were inches from opening the scoring on 25 minutes with a free kick from a central position 25 yards out. Midfielder Matt Spring curled a shot beyond Owain Fon Williams' reach but his effort struck the left hand post and rebounded away from goal. David Buchanan tested Rachubka with a left foot shot from 25 yards after the ball fell to him following a decent run from Robinson while Goodison kept out Spring at the other end. Ryan Brunt and Enoch Showunmi combined well on 34 minutes with Brunt running on to a layoff on the edge of the area and seeing his powerful effort go just past the top right corner. Rovers' pressure eventually paid off on 35 minutes. A corner from Buchanan had to be punched away at his near post by Rachubka but the ball fell straight to Robinson who controlled before driving the ball through a crowded area high into the net for his second goal of the season. The lead was doubled moments before half time. A cross field pass from James Wallace was well controlled by Akins and the winger ran towards the area before laying the ball off to Danny Holmes. His cross went straight through the six yard box to the back post where Showunmi slid the ball home. While Rovers started at a high tempo early in the second half, the first chance came at the other end with Mooney hooking over the bar from 16 yards. Goodison charged down two shots from Jimmy Smith on 53 minutes before Holmes cleared and soon after Wallace flashed a shot just past Rachubka's right hand post from 25 yards. Fon Williams held on to a dipping 25 yard shot from Spring on 59 minutes while Leon McSweeney fired across goal and wide soon after. The Rovers keeper did well to keep out Chorley's header from a corner on 65 minutes, reacting quickly to his close range effort to palm the ball down and away from goal. A 69th minute substitution saw Showunmi replaced by Zoumana Bakayogo and Robinson move into attack. The change almost paid instant dividends, with Robinson driving forward and past two challenges before seeing his low left foot shot saved by Rachubka. On 76 minutes Orient were denied a goal by a superb save from Fon Williams, with the keeper diving to his right to keep out Spring's effort before George Porter fired into the side netting from the rebound. Substitute Robbie Weir, on for Akins, almost made it three in injury time, but his well placed header from Wallace's cross was saved by Rachubka. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison, Buchanan, Akins (Weir 89), Welsh, Wallace, Robinson (Labadie 81), Showunmi (Bakayogo 69), Brunt. Unused substitutes: Coughlin, Stockton. Leyton Orient: Rachubka, Youssef, Chorley, Forbes, Reed, Andrew, McSweeney, Spring, Jimmy Smith (Laird 77), Campbell-Ryce (Porter 45HT), Mooney. Unused substitutes: Cestor, Lovelock, Jamie Smith. Referee: Andrew Madley Yellow cards: Follow Tranmere on Twitter at  

    Latest Match Reports