Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 May 12 at 17:38 PM

Report: Tranmere 1 Scunthorpe 1

Tranmere signed off the 2011-12 season with a 1-1 home win against Scunthorpe United.

The draw secured Rovers twelfth place in League 1 and their first top half finish since 2008-09.

It also maintained the Club's unbeaten home run throughout 2012, a sequence of results which stretched to 12 matches.

There were four changes to the side that started at Colchester as Owain Fon Williams, David Buchanan, Martin Devaney and Max Power came in for Andy Coughlin, Zoumana Bakayogo, Lucas Akins and James Wallace. Youth scholar Jake Kirby was named on the bench for the first time.

Jake Cassidy fired inches past the left hand post from Andy Robinson's third minute corner, while Mark Duffy shot over the bar at the opposite end from Garry Thompson's pass.

After a low effort from Devaney went across goal and wide on five minutes following good hold up play from Cassidy on the edge of the area, Scunthorpe had a good chance to take the lead on 14 minutes. After Goodison had joined in an attack, the visitors quickly countered with a long ball to Bobby Grant but he was unable to control when one on one with Fon Williams and Buchanan was able to clear.

Another Robinson corner caused Scunthorpe problems on 17 minutes with the ball reaching Tiryaki at the back of his area and his low shot had to be saved by Sam Slocombe.

Fon Williams kept the scores level with a superb tip past the post from Niall Canavan's header on 18 minutes, while Jake Cassidy headed a Grant shot away from goal a minute later as the visitors pressured the Rovers area.

Cassidy was involved at the other end moments later as Rovers broke forward. Devaney picked the striker out on the edge of the area in an unmarked position but he opted to control the pass rather than shoot first time, giving Duffy the chance to clear the danger.

A pass from Welsh allowed Cassidy to curl a shot towards goal on 22 minutes which was quickly followed by an attempt wide of the target by Cliff Byrne for Scunthorpe.

The deadlock was broken on 26 minutes. After Devaney won a corner on the right hand side, Mark McChrystal got in front of his marker at the near post to head Robinson's corner past Slocombe and into the net.

On 35 minutes Fon Williams saved well from Jimmy Ryan and the keeper stuck out a hand to keep out Grant's close range follow up, with McChrystal getting injured in the process. After briefly rejoining the action, the defender was eventually replaced by Robbie Weir who slotted in at right back with Danny Holmes moving alongside Goodison in the centre of defence.

Devaney and Weir shared possession down the right before Robinson fired goalwards on 52 minutes, closely followed by Cassidy drilling a shot over the bar from 25 yards and Power missing from a similar position moments later.

After Fon Williams twice punched clear from his six yard box, Devaney fired into the side netting following good work from Robinson and Tiryaki sent an attempted 40 yard lob over the bar after spotting the keeper off his line.

The visitors responded by drawing level on 61 minutes. A corner from the right was flicked on by Byrne and reached the unmarked Garry Thompson at the far post who drilled a shot high into the net.

Lucas Akins replaced Tiryaki on 67 minutes, a change that saw Robinson move alongside Cassidy in attack. Eight minutes later Kirby made his Rovers debut, coming on for Cassidy as Akins pushed forward.

Eddie Nolan cut inside Weir and fired against the top of the cross bar as Scunthorpe while Robinson stung the gloves of Slocombe after running on to a well placed pass from Kirby.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Goodison, McChrystal (Weir 39), Buchanan, Devaney, Power, Welsh, Robinson, Cassidy (Kirby 75), Tiryaki (Akins 67). Unused substitutes: Bakayogo, Brunt.

Scunthorpe: Slocombe, Nolan, Mirfin (Togwell 45 HT), Byrne, Ryan, Thompson, Duffy, Grant (Jennings 75), Canavan, Barcham (Godden 87), Gibbons. Unused substitutes: Hornsey, Lillis.

Referee: Mike Oliver

Yellow cards: Goodison (60) 

    Latest Match Reports