Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Aug 11 at 21:38 PM

Report: Doncaster 3 Tranmere 0

Tranmere's Carling Cup campaign came to an end at the first hurdle as they suffered a 3-0 defeat at Doncaster Rovers. The Championship side scored an early penalty and never looked back, their slick passing making it a frustrating night for Tranmere. There were chances for Rovers in the first 45 minutes, with Martin Devaney sending in a number of useful crosses that weren't capitalised on while Adam McGurk had a chance to reduce the half time deficit to just one moments before the interval. But the result continued Tranmere's poor record in Doncaster, having won just three times on the road there in more than 30 matches. Les Parry opted for the same team that started against Chesterfield, while Enoch Showunmi returned from injury to take a place on the substitutes' bench. With seven substitutes allowed in the Carling Cup there was also a place for Ash Taylor. Former Tranmere loanee Mark Wilson missed out for Doncaster through injury. Doncaster dominated possession in the opening minutes, passing the ball neatly around their half before quickly launching attacks which Owain Fon Williams, Zoumana Bakayogo and Mark McChrystal took turns in cutting out. On five minutes the home side took the lead from the penalty spot. A foul was awarded against Robinson after Goodison's clearance was played back into the area and Chris Brown put his spot kick just past the dive of Fon Williams. Fon Williams saved well from James Coppinger on seven minutes after the wide man cut inside from the right, while Martin Devaney sent a fine cross through the six yard box in Tranmere's first attack of the match two minutes later. The ball was turned behind for a corner from which, after it ran to the back of the box, Ian Goodison saw a close range effort blocked from Mustafa Tiryaki's cross. Robinson volleyed over from 30 yards on 12 minutes after Devaney almost capitalised on a sloppy pass across the Doncaster back four. Rovers passed the ball nicely when they got chance, but Doncaster were quick to capitalise on any loose balls and countered at great speed on 16 minutes , with Michael Kay forced into conceding a corner. Goodison had to be at his best to clear the danger on 26 minutes as Doncaster pressed from a corner while another Devaney cross presented the home side with some defensive work of their own soon after at the opposite end of the pitch. From the corner that followed Mark McChrystal sent his header over the bar. But on 30 minutes it was 2-0 to Doncaster. The ball reached Ryan Mason just inside the area and the youngster found the bottom left corner with a shot across Fon Williams. A superb save from Fon Williams prevented George Friend from making it 3-0 on 33 minutes, the Rovers keeper diving high to his left to keep out a powerful header. On 35 minutes he was called into action again, this time palming away Mason's top corner bound effort from the edge of the area. Rovers broke quickly from the resulting corner and Adam McGurk will have been disappointed to shoot straight at Gary Woods after getting through on goal. Devaney and Goodison forced Doncaster to concede a couple of corners on 40 minutes but John Welsh's shot could only be diverted straight into Woods' arms by Goodison. McChrystal did well to block Simon Gillett's shot on 42 minutes, the last chance of the half for either side. The start of the second half saw Showunmi replace Tiryaki up front, while Fon Williams was called on to save Brown's attempted lob three minutes in. Kyle Bennett fired over the Tranmere goal on 51 minutes but Rovers responded with a couple of attacks of their own, first Zoumana Bakayogo playing a one two with Robinson only for his touch to take the ball too close to Woods, before McGurk fired over from the edge of the area following a corner. Doncaster's third came in spectacular fashion. After Rovers gave away possession, Bennett stepped inside from the left and superbly curled the ball over Fon Williams and into the top right corner from the edge of the area. Rovers' second change saw Lucas Akins come on for Devaney and Dave Raven came on for McChrystal soon after. Giles Barnes sent a free kick just inches past the top left corner from 30 yards on 81 minutes, and Akins volleyed just over the top at the other end moments later as the game came back to life. Coppinger's shot took a touch off Bakayogo and flashed past the far post on 84 minutes and a shot from Hird deflected away from goal three minutes later. A Bakayogo cross almost reached Akins in the fifth minute of injury time but Tommy Spurr was on hand to clear the danger. Doncaster: Woods, Friend, Spurr, Oster, Gillett, Coppinger, Mason (Baxendale 80), Naylor (Keegan 60), Bennett, Brown (Barnes 63), Hird. Substitutes not used: Sullivan, Ball, Radford, Wilding. Tranmere: Fon Williams, Kay, Goodison, McChrystal (Raven 66), Bakayogo, Weir, Welsh, Robinson, Devaney (Akins 62), Tiryaki (Showunmi 45 HT) McGurk. Substitutes not used: Coughlin, Taylor, Buchanan, Labadie. Referee: Gary Sutton Yellow cards: Welsh (76), McGurk (90+2) Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

    Latest Match Reports