Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 30 Dec 11 at 21:42 PM

Report: Tranmere 2 Bury 0

Goals from Joss Labadie and Ash Taylor gave Tranmere a victory in their final match of 2011.

Labadie scored his fourth goal of the season and the second in two games to put Rovers into a first half lead with Taylor completing the win late in the game.

The victory lifted Les Parry's side to 12th in League 1 and was their fifth home victory of the campaign.

There were three changes from Rovers' last game against Stevenage. Robbie Weir came back in for John Welsh, while Mustafa Tiryaki replaced the injured Enoch Showunmi up front and Danny Holmes came in for Michael Kay at right back. Dave Raven and Zoumana Bakayogo were named on the bench after missing the previous match through injury.

The starting formation against Bury

Robbie Weir almost opened the scoring inside the first minute with a first time volley which had to be parried away from goal by Bury keeper Cameron Belford.

Bury threatened for the first time on six minutes as Andy Bishop headed wide at the far post from Phil Picken's right wing cross while another ball into the box from the defender had to be turned away by Ash Taylor five minutes later.

The rain that had fallen all day had made conditions tricky for the two teams, with the ball zipping off the surface at speed.

Taylor flashed a header across goal and over the bar on 18 minutes from a Jose Baxter corner and it was from another corner that Rovers took the lead seven minutes later. This time it was a low cross sent in from the right, with Lucas Akins stepping over the ball and Labadie firing low past Belford from just past the penalty spot.

It wasn't far off 2-0 a couple of minutes later with Baxter sending a 25 yard effort just past the top right corner after picking up a loose ball outside the Bury area.

Lenell John-Lewis sent a close range effort wide of the target for the Shakers on 29 minutes while Paul Rachubka did well to claim and hold a pacy low cross from former Tranmere midfielder Mike Jones four minutes later.

Labadie sent an attempt at a second goal of the game high over the bar on 35 minutes following a passing move involving Baxter, Adam McGurk and Weir, while there was a break in play soon after for treatment to Tiryaki for a head injury, with the Rovers striker eventually rejoining play with a bandage around his head.

A Baxter free kick bounced just beyond the path of Akins at the near post and into the arms of Belford two minutes into the second half, while a 25 yard volley from John-Lewis at the other end was kept out by Rachubka.

A stunning reaction save from Belford kept the deficit at one for the visitors, with the keeper reaching out a hand to keep prevent Mark Carrington from scoring an own goal after the defender's attempt at blocking a Baxter shot went towards the net.

Moments later Bury had to clear from inside their six yard box as Tiryaki's angled pass went just beyond the path of Akins and McGurk. Rovers continued to press with Labadie winning possession outside the area only for his attack to come to an end following a misunderstanding with Tiryaki.

On 62 minutes Baxter was denied a goal by the legs of Belford after he was put through on goal by McGurk while the Everton loanee almost had another chance three minutes later but Tiryaki's cross was too far ahead of him and easily gathered by the Bury keeper.

After receiving the ball from Labadie on 69 minutes Baxter twisted and turned before seeing his goalbound effort strike the head of team mate Taylor and bounce away from the target. The miss sparked a spell of Bury pressure, with Labadie clearing off the line from an Andy Bishop volley.

Bury substitute Ashley Eastham headed over at the far post from a Jones cross two minutes from time, while Tiryaki got his foot in between Belford and the ball soon after but he was unable to direct it towards goal.

The win was almost sealed on 89 minutes when Weir fired in a first time effort from distance with the keeper off his line but Belford did superbly to recover and claw the ball away from goal.

However, the resulting corner did bring the goal that ensured Rovers picked up all three points. The ball was played back to Labadie by Baxter, his cross reached Bakayogo at the far post and a low pass to Taylor gave the centre back the relatively easy job of converting from six yards for his fourth goal of the season.

Tranmere: Rachubka, Holmes, Taylor, McChrystal, Buchanan, Akins, Labadie, Weir (Power 90+1), McGurk (Bakayogo 74), Baxter, Tiryaki. Unused Substitutes: Coughlin, Raven, Robinson.

Bury: Belford, Picken (Eastham 85), Skarz, Cregg, Worrall (Amoo 63), Bishop (Harrad 80), John-Lewis, Carrington, Michael Jones, Sodje, Hughes. Unused substitutes: Eastham, Branagan, Andrai Jones.

Referee: Fred Graham

Yellow cards: Carrington (68), John-Lewis (74), Labadie (77), Akins (84)

Follow Tranmere on Twitter at

Get a great holiday discount with Thomas Cook and Going Places

    Latest Match Reports